CRASH! Help! Spindle hits front of machine

So, I installed a bit setter and it works beautifully. The I finished wiring my brand-new spindle and VFD. I programmed the parameters on the VFD and it seems to work well, it’s controlling the RPM via Gcode and all :slight_smile: Then it all goes South in a catastrophic way. I home the machine no prob, it then sends the gantry to front and center for tool change, I click continue and it lines up with the bit setter and probes successfully, goes back to front and center, the spindle spools up and lowers the Z below the hight of the metal frame of my ShapeOko and proceeds to try to go to 0,0 and crashes on the table. WTF have I done wrong?
Thanks again everyone

To debug things like this, let us know step-by-step:

• what you did
  • what you expected
  • what actually happened

Usually it’s a disconnect between how you have your job setup: https://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/carbidecreate/video-tutorials/#job-setup and how you have the zero defined relative to your stock: https://docs.carbide3d.com/tutorials/tutorial-homing/

If you continue to have difficulties let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work this out with you.

what application generated your gcode?

it almost is like your software goes to the Z before going to the 0,0 for X,Y
instead of first going to 0,0 for X/Y and THEN going to the proper Z

I use VCarvePro (and have for years) and then go to Carbide Motion, I have noticed some odd behavior with the bit setter. It seems to get the tool height before asking me to set Z,0
I dunno Uggggh

the latest post processor should work well with bitsetter…
paging @neilferreri

1 Like

ok so the carbide motion flow with bitsetter is pretty much

1. turn on machine
  2. make it home, it will measure a bit as part of this with bitsetter
  3. Now you zero you work
  4. if you need a different bit use the CC UI to ask for a bit change, do not just do it
  5. Load file and “run” “start”
  6. CM will measure the bit again
  7. turn on spindle based on dialog
1 Like

I had the wrong Z Plate selected in the set up. Doh!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.