Creating F Holes

Anyone have any suggestions on how to draw something like F holes (like on the front of violins and cellos)?

I tried creating a few circles and joining/editing the nodes but CC is limited using this approach.

Using the Boolean operation is a craps shoot at best.

For reference, this is as close as I have gotten:
Capture

You will want to draw these up using the (Bézier) Curve tool.

You can get a quick approximation with the new tracing functionality:

Attached.

F-holes.c2d (37.0 KB)

Hang on for a tutorial on drawing them by hand.

I traced it and came up with this after a minute or two - sorry I could spend more time on it, though!

Traced F.c2d (27.8 KB)

Begin by importing the pixel image to the background for reference:

Adjust the stock size:

While the fit of the auto-tracing is quite good:

There are more nodes than are strictly necessary, and their placement doesn’t follow best practice:

Here’s how to draw an optimized version by hand using the Curve tool.

Of course, @WillAdams answer is much more detailed than mine! :rofl: :rofl:

It may help to review:

Here’s how to draw using the Curve tool — first zoom in:

select the Curve tool and click on each point where there should be an on-curve point: extrema — top/bottom and left/right, points of inflection, sharp points (this is easier if you turn off Snap to Grid, but then closing the last point may be a bit harder):

Then go into Node Edit mode:

and begin editing:

dragging the on-curve node to the desired position if need be, then adjusting the on-curve nodes:

if a curve doesn’t completely fall where desired, it will be easier to move on for now — it may be that the next node edit will allow for it to be adjusted, or will require going back and adjusting it more — work all the way around.

When you arrive at a point of inflection alt-drag the nodes:

and if need be, insert nodes where necessary:

Thanks everyone for the wonderful answers, I did not know image trace was available, that worked great. The tutorial on how to use the curve tool is amazing too.

Thanks again!

Ultimately one arrives at:

which may be duplicated and mirrored:

Attached.

F-holes_redrawn.c2d (57.1 KB)

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.