Cross country move, how to keep xxl safe

(Andy) #1

Hi everyone,

We are moving from Atlanta to Oakland, and it’ll be shipped out in a pod. Any ideas/tips to help pack and keep the rails safe along with all the limit switches and everything else that goes with the xxl. Any help is greatly appreciated!

0 Likes

(Gary) #2

Don’t move to Oakland it’s a cesspool. Hope that helped. Seriously. I would make a wooden crate for the rails with a heavy dose of bubble wrap.

0 Likes

(William Adams) #3

The best thing to do would be to disassemble back into the original box.

If that’s not an option, at the minimum remove the carriage (slacken the Z-axis belt and remove the Z-axis carriage from the Z-axis rails) and gantry and wrap well with bubble wrap and store them in a labeled box along with the power supply and cables.

For short moves, it seems okay to just zip tie the carriage/gantry into a corner, but for a long move that’s too risky, and you’re too likely to break some V wheels and gouge the rails.

2 Likes

(James Rieger) #4

I moved from Fort Bragg, NC to Fort Hood, TX and dissassembled the machine and placed everything back into the original box except the two pieces of MDF waistboard, I packed those seperately. That was easier than I thought it would be and it ensured nothing got damaged or bent during the move.

1 Like