Cut holes in 16ga steel

I have a Pro xxl and need to mill some small holes in 16ga steel. What mill and speeds and feeds should I use?

The steel is this:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/national-hardware-4070bc-24-in-x-24-in-sheet-metal-plain-steel-yellow-16-gauge-3587459

What size holes?
Jumbo shrimp bought in Louisiana is way bigger than jumbo shrimp bought in Michigan.

1 Like

Not very big have plenty of drill bits the right size just wanted to be able leverage the accuracy of the CNC.
Measured the hole size and it’s .38”

Drill bits need to run much slower than routers can run. Suggest drill mills rather than drill bits. At higher speeds the drills will overheat and dull and lose temper.

1 Like

Agreed I was going to use my drill if I have to trying to figure out what endmill I need.

I would then just mark, or use an 1/8th inch drill (jobber drill) the hole locations, then come back with a hand drill and finish them to size.

but then again, myself I’d try an 1/8th inch endmill, slow the router rpm down to minimum. and try a helical cut at around 60 ipm. That’s what scrap material for testing is for.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.