Cutter Changes?

Been practicing with CC while waiting for my machine to arrive. I have a file with 3 tool paths groups. I am assuming Carbide Motion will cut the groups in the order listed? However, the first group requires a 1/8" end mill. Groups two and three require required 1/4" end mill. Question: will Carbide Motion automatically stop or suspend execution when it comes time for a tool change? It will notify me, or somehow let me know? Thanks.

On my setup, BitZero and Bit Setter, That is the way it works. If you are not using the BitSetter the execution will stop until you change tools. If you are doing it that way, I suggest you break the file up to seperate tools. ( I just would disable the paths with the different tools, Enable then save again)

Good Luck
Welcome to the fun.

3 Likes

Yes. Using the bit setter CC will stop and prompt you to turn off the spindle and change the bit. Then it will use the bit setter to measure the length of the bit and prompt you to turn the spindle back on.

1 Like

Thanks, Mr. Zman. My machine will come with Bit Setter, but I did not order Bit Zero. In your estimation is that something I should have? I thought X and Y zero stayed constant even after tool changes. Interesting concept about saving steps or versions of your file for different tool changes. Much appreciated.

.Thank you! That’s what I was hoping.

I don’t have bit zero. Didn’t think it would be that useful. But lots of folks have it. I just use a piece of paper or a manual bit setter that i made.

It makes life easier for me on most jobs. BitZero allows me to set on a corner to determine my “X” “Y” zero. Otherwise I would have to eyeball where it is. Don’t get me wrong, it can be done, it makes it easier for this set of tired eyes. Plus it keeps me from reaching across the work.

Good luck

1 Like

I made my own cheap and dirty touch probe and it works great for me

1 Like

Makes sense to me. Thanks. Sounds as if it would be a worthwhile purchase.

1 Like

Interesting you said that. I saw in one of the many YouTube videos someone using a piece L-bracket, with the grounding wire simply alligator clipped to it and the spindle. I’ll have to see if I can find that again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.