Cutting acrylic sheet (2.5mm thick)

First attempt with a 2-flute straight bit I knew it would gum up and sure enough. Set my router to about 18k rpm and 20 ipm. I’ve got other bits to try. 2-flute, 3-flute, 4-flute up cut but before I do that let just ask. Is cutting in acrylic going to need an o-flute bit? and faster travel like 30+ ipm?

0 flute is best. But your feed rate is about 100 ipm low. That’s why your gumming up. Acrylic cuts FAST. I run a 0 flute at 18000 or slower, and 120ipm. Cuts CAST acrylic beautifully. I have never tried extruded acrylic but I have heard it is not near as good.

1 Like

Thanks for your time Charles…

The nice thing about your straight bit is it doesn’t exert any force up or down. If it’s nice & sharp it should leave very little burr.
I think you can slow the RPM down as well. With a 1/4" I go 8000 & at least 60 IPM, but usually end up bumping the feedrate up. With a 1/8" tool, 12000 RPM & same feedrates.
I also brush my bit with some lubricant, tap-magic, parafin or silicone spray before each cut.

I’ve got some 1/8 inch 0-flute bits on order. I’ll be checking out a full spectrum of speed and feed to get my arms around acrylic. At the same time aluminum.

As the above suggested you are going too slow. Acrylic melts at a very low temperature. So the slower (IPM) you go the more heat builds up. The O flute is the preferred bit for acrylic but a 2 flute bit will work with the proviso @Tod1d stated. The more flutes the hotter the acrylic gets so you have to increase speed with shallow depth of cut. If you take a pic lighter you can melt acrylic. If you hold the bic lighter up to wood or alum you might get some smoke but it does not melt.

So go faster.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.