Cutting tall objects

(David) #1

Hi

I was thinking of purchasing a Shapeoko XL but saw that it has limited cutting capacity in the x axis.

I would be looking to cut some holes to allow switches and connectors to be mounted into a plastic enclosure. However the surface to be cut is on a surface which would mean the enclosure would have to be stood upright to cut.

The dimensions are - 250 x 120 x 50 and I need to cut on the x 50 surface. Has anyone got experience of cutting a hole or similar in the waste board to allow a tall object to be cut?

Dave

(William Adams) #2

Folks have done this, a couple of folks have even made metal wasteboards which have integrated clamping for this sort of thing.

Might be able to clamp at the front of the machine though.

(Richard Cournoyer) #3

I cut a LOT of large items under the Z and now in front of the machine. Go view my 3+ years of work on Instagram (JPL_Richard) Another owner and IG user (Vince.fab) as even cut a hole in his waste board to install a large commercial milling vise for some of his earlier work. So, there are lots of ideas out there is you search for them.

Now for some questions.

You mean the Z axis right??? (height)
50??? What units cm, mm, inches???

Note: The machine has 75mm of travel and 89mm of height, as well as an adjustable spindle that can raise and lower to suit your work.

(Chris C) #4

I cut mortises into some 2.75" square desk legs with mine by just sliding the router up in the mount a bit. Thats 70mm or so. If you plan on cutting the 50mm face (which means standing it so it projects 120mm or 250mm vertically?) you’ll likely have to design a mount that holds the box off the front of the machine to mill it, because thats taller than you can typically fit under the X gantry unless you recess it into the wasteboard.

(system) closed #5

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.