Damaged Bit Setter

Morning Folks. Just received my Pro XXL Last week. In an act of Dumbness on my first go… I managed to machine a 0.95mm Pocket into the top of my bit setter button.

I’m assuming this will effect my tool height when it probes?

Is it possible to get a replacement button?

Oops :slight_smile:

I think there are replacement buttons available - the new BitSetter uses a magnet as a button I think.

Until you find a replacement, putting/sticking any flat surface to the top of the ruined button will work just fine. The height of the BitSetter is not important since it doesn’t measure any real-world dimensions.

Good to know Im not alone. Did that too.

Dont turn router on while bit setting :slight_smile:

Batteries buttons are available (I bought a couple of extra’s)

If you purchased it within 30 days it still falls under the User Error Warranty. Contact Support@Carbide3D.com

https://carbide3d.com/policy/warranty/

3 Likes

Am i correct in thinking that because of this pocket in the button, It will think the end mill is shorter than it actually us?

It depends. if the pocket is big enough that the mill before a toolchange and the mill after a toolchange both fit into the pocket, then there will be no effect - the bitsetter measures the difference between the two tools.

You will run into problems if one mill hits the top surface, and another hits the bottom of the pocket.

1 Like

As Michael says, the BitSetter is a difference tool, not a length measuring tool.

There is nothing precise about the BitSetter’s size, shape or position on the machine. The machine is counting “pulses sent until a signal is received”, not physical distance.

Yes, contact us at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll work out how to handle this.

It took me a couple of years, but I finally put a nice little 0.0400" dimple in my BitSetter V1. Fortunately, the hole is small enough that I just moved the coordinates a little bit and it’ll be fine.

2 Likes

J.B. Weld is your friend, or let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll work it out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.