Deleting segments in CC

Hey Guys,
Newbie here as far as the xxl.I have been designing for around 18 yrs. or so using the old Cadkey 97, and mainly send my drawings out for lasering. I do have issues when importing .dxf files into CC, but I think I’ve got that figured out.
Few issues :
When working in CC can you delete only one segment (entity) of let’s say a square? Can’t seem to get that one,when I click on it the whole square highlights.

Also once in the simulation mode the cuts appear to be jagged, is what you see is what you get?

Some of the tool paths are really up there in time as well.

I know it’s going to be a trial and error thing, and I don’t even have the machine yet, it’s supposed to be here this week,possibly tomorrow, but I have been drawing and trying to create as many of my old drawings as possible,so that I am ready to cut.
Thanks!

Carbide Create is a bit limited — you can’t select segments and delete them to create an open path — it’s not possible to make an open path from a closed one AFAICT.

You can go into node edit mode and delete nodes, but that still won’t have the result you want — best workaround would be to draw a square which occludes the line you don’t want and use Boolean Subtract to create a U shape which is open on that edge.

Ok Thanks Will, So I read on another post that when you import and the drawing is in pink lines it is an open segment? I was still able to create a tool path with it, will it still cut? Also about the simulation thing -is what you see exactly what you get,as far as the jagged lines on the cuts? Or is that just magnified or something.

Hey , I’ve got another question, I just received my surfacing bit - it’s a whiteside 1" cut diameter -1/4" shank, part # 6210. I am using Meyers tool path and it does not seem to be correct, can you help me out with how to set this up in the library. This is what it says, in his video he is using the same bit.

Are these parameters correct as well?

you set diameter at 1.5 inches, not 1”. Rest looks ok, but I wouldn’t take off .040 in first pass, do half that.

Correct, open paths show as magenta.

They can be used for some sorts of toolpaths, but not for Contour | Pocket, Vcarve, or Texture.

You can close them however.

The blue preview lines are more faceted/rougher than actual machine movement as a speed-optimization feature — actual cutting will be much smoother.

Thanks John,
Can you tell me the reason that you set it @ 1.5" dia. rather than the actual dia. of 1"?

NO, take a look at your settings Just above EDIT you have #1 1.50in
YOU have it set as a 1.5" bit. not me!

Yeh, that’s his settings, that’s why I asked the question, was wondering why - it did not look correct to me.
Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.