Dewalt 611 Temperature Sensor Super PID

Thanks Julien for the SuperPID explanation. Please let me know if you have done any work with the temperature sensor on your router setup.
Sherpa, in addition if your interested for more detail on it several discussion here and Youtube several videos of how to and SuperPID in operation.
In regards to the 3D printing, I am fortunate enough to have access to a nice hand held laser scanner. I was able to scan the part and then used some design software (Solidworks and DesignX) to 3D model the top cap of the router. Plan is to have an duplicate of the cap with provisions to hold the sensors in place to avoid zip-tie and hot melt glue. Also plan to do a custom cap to dress up the machine. The 3D printing is actually making a physical part from your computer model. There are many home machines that you can buy and a couple of different technologies use to make the parts.
As I mentioned, I am in the beginning stages of planning and buying building at this point but will be posting items back here on the community as I go.
Thanks,
J

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat and need to attach a temperature sensor to my router as well for a speed controller input.

As far as location, below the fan should probably get the best results but I’m not sure of the internals on that router VS the Makita. I don’t think you’ll have a problem overheating because the mount is basically a giant heatsink.

3 Likes

so this is really interesting indeed, the scanner thing blows my mind, would love to see it in action / the workflow from scan to completion, as always thanks everybody for the responses i will eagerly await updates to this

2 Likes

Here is a quick link to a youtube video of the scanner that we use.

Thanks,
J
3 Likes

dude i need this in my life!! may i ask what you do for a living @facchinelloj?

I work for an engineering group.

We have been using the DW611’s since the SO3 was released, SN0063. We have Super PID’s and have not seen the need to add the temperature sensor option. I would recommend close to the bottom bearing for the most useful reading, that will also be near the air flow from the router.

The most important feature of the SPID is the hour meter, replace your brushes every 150 hours.

Thanks for the note on the brushes as well. I did see that Dewalt called for replacement and inspection at 100hrs. Curious how many hrs your 611 has on it. Started to wonder about the life when Dewalt noted to bring it to a certified dealer for brush replacement and inspection/service. Any other maintenance you are doing on it?
Thanks,
J

2 Likes

Do you have any tips on how to connect the Shapeoko’s PWM signal to the SuperPID?
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Hey Jim,
I think this tutorial should shine some light on what you’re looking for…
https://community.carbide3d.com/t/router-on-off-and-speed-control-with-superpid-and-cncjs/23456

2 Likes

Hey Brian,
Thank You very much.
That is perfect. Looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Small world . . . I grew up in Rochester, early days of Xerox Research . . . now retired in Southern Oregon. Morning walks before project time: http://jiminashland.jalbum.net/ (Sorry I had to rub it in)

Before you think Southern Oregon is the sticks, check out this guy making excellent bits at a great price: https://youtu.be/8G4rtgJEW2M

Cheers, Jim

Small world indeed - six degrees of Kevin Bacon and all…

Very nice photos, Jim!

Genesee cream ail at the Orange Monkey (early 70s)?

Ah. Jenny Cream Ale. Remembered in 72 Genesee Brewing bitter case after case of water for us flood victims in June of 72.

2 Likes

I still have a Jenny Bottle opener . . . she was cute but the beer wasn’t.
Back then the local pub would serve us Genesee on tap when we were only 16!
The micro brews from the Northwest have me spoiled.
Hey, I’m getting thirsty, and . . . did I remember to zero my Z axis?

3 Likes

I worked for Eastman Kodak and spent a lot of time in Rochester. The Genesse is an acquired taste and will make non-locals spend time praying to the porcelain god. I also spent time at the Orange Monkey and the Carriage House. I was there in the early 80’s and never saw so many NO signs everywhere. No Parking, No this No that. New York State even then had a lot of restrictions on what you could do. I had my first wings there. One of my classmates stopped and got a big bag of wings on the way home and the bag was greasy and had a bad odor but the wings were good. I stayed in a corporate apartment many times called Rustic Village, we called it Rusty Village. The first floor was about half in the ground and many times the snow was drifted up to the second story windows.

2 Likes

I did the SuperPID mod on my Dewalt around 4 years ago I think? I just removed the power switch and drilled a hole through the plastic. I epoxied the supplied plastic tube in the hole with 5 minute epoxy and pushed the sensor wire in till it touched, then pulled back a hair and zip tied into place. I haven’t been doing much CNC routing lately (I’ve gone back to hand work + laser cutting), but I fired it up a week ago and it’s still humming. I never added a temp sensor, but I’ve done plenty of drilling with a stub drill bit at 5000 rpm and I’ve got well over 100 hours on the brushes and no obvious heat issues. I’m not however using an enclosure, so some heat issues may be mitigated? It’s actually a fairly straightforward mod on the Dewalt, I’m not sure that the Makita is as simple. I “think” there’s actually some photo documentation of the Dewalt on the SuperPID website if you look around. If you catch them on a holiday they usually run a 20% off deal or something like that. I also don’t run mine from the SO3 controller, I’ve got a knob, and control issues, haha!

Dan

3 Likes

Thank You Dan for the post and the photos.

1 Like

Really interesting thanks for all the details :blush:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.