Difference HDZ/ Z-Plus

I’ll be more specific and hopefully this can help someone else.

The width of each option, Belt, Z-Plus and HDZ do they differ? As in without adding dust control options?

If they do differ, do you have rough measurement of each?

The HDZ is ~120mm wide

Z-Plus ~170mm

Belt-drive ~175mm

Thank you Will, that helps a lot!

You had asked specifically about the Suckit dust boot. On this forum someone mentioned the small company Suckit has been sold to a bigger cnc company. There were out of production for a while while transitioning to the new company. I have not seen update about their production but some speculated that they may not make Shapeoko dust boots any more. Try the suckit site for an update. The issue with the suckit is there are brackets on each side of the Z that attaches the suckit to the Z axis and because they are sticking out it slightly reduces the X travel (side to side) I know for the HDZ in the configuration there is a reduced travel option to compensate so you do not crash the HDZ into the Y rails.

1 Like

Right, I am aware of the Suck-It company switching to producing CNC’s. I have a Suck-It dust boot already on the normal belt Z-Axis. Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears from Will’s post the width of the HDZ is smaller than the Belt Drive. So if I can fit the Suck-It Dust boot, to my normal belt drive, it should fit the HDZ and not reduce my X area.

An HDZ with a Suckit won’t reduce your X travel in comparison with the belt driven Z; however, it can be hard to ignore the extra X-axis work area that you’d be literally leaving on the table. This coming from an upgrade luster/gear whore.

Retrofitting the Suckit to the HDZ worked for me as an interim to a custom design. I’m currently in limbo since I upgraded to an 80mm spindle much sooner than I had planned though. Not having dust collection is inconvenient to say the least.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.