DIY flip jig-Shapeoko question

Received my machine yesterday, hope to assemble this weekend. I purchased the machine primarily to produce a part I’d like to try and sell. I’ve successfully machined the part in MDF on a friends updated SO2/X-carve. While that process worked it involved trial and error etc. I’d like as high a degree of repeatability I can attain to speed up operations and reduce errors. I looked at the carbide flip jig and besides being optimized for Nomad it’s also not tall enough for the part I’m making. I’m toying with the idea of milling my own (using SO3).

Couple of questions:

1. Carbide flip jig has locating pins built in the jig and table in addition to the screws to bolt down. I ordered the threaded table with my machine. Seems like I could use the predrilled holes to screw it down to, would that not suffice for locating it? Would I need to index the jig to the gantry/mill each time?

2. Looks like there is some software support for the flip jig when used with nomad? Not sure what this entails. Could I accomplish same thing with workspaces in bcnc or carbide motion? My use of bcnc is limited, I’ve noticed it has workspace support and buttons for g54, 55 etc. but haven’t read up enough to have a firm grasp.

Should I model threaded table and diy flip jig in cam (fusion 360)? Then use bcnc or carbide motion to store position info for location on table.

Sorry for length, I’ve got a lot of basics down but wcs and advanced gcode our little beyond me at the moment. And no this won’t be the first thing I try and do when I get the machine set up :sweat:!

thanks

Awesome project / idea!

So long as you use a good quality part for the threaded locator pin, you’re good — the Nomad flip jig uses a diamond shaped pin on the jig, and a matching hole on the table — some discussion of the former here: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Workholding#Two-sided_Cutting and I’m sure there’s a link somewhere on the wiki to the discussion somewhere here 'bout why the diamond shape is better.

I believe the software support for the Nomad just entails the machine knowing the dimensions of the flip jig — workspace coordinate systems (until you run out of them) work as well.

Please see http://carbide3d.com/docs/tutorials/tool-change/ to get you started!

1 Like

Will

Thanks for the links, gave me some ideas.

One other question, I’ve noticed in the forums you have used or do use BCNC. On the BCNC wiki it shows the option for the probe camera alignment. I’ve played with this a little, in a nutshell it can use points to align the workpiece. Curious if you’ve used this and wondered if I could drill holes in flip jig and use this feature for increased accuracy and repeatability. So flip the jig and use the camera alignment feature to correct any offsets.

I’m afraid my use of bCNC was quite limited — used it 'cause it worked better on my old ThinkPad X61t than Carbide Motion did — CM runs fine on my Atom tablet (a Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10 for the curious), so I haven’t had occasion to use it for a while now.

The usage you mention sounds perfect for that feature — contact the author of bCNC, Vasilis Vlachoudis to see what he thinks.

1 Like