Does the Bitrunner work with the festool dust extractor auto on feature?

Hello community!

I am probably going to pick up the Bit Runner 2 for my Shapeoko3 XXL.

I use a Festool MIDI I dust extractor that allows me to plug my router into it. When I flip the switch on the router the extractor automatically knows to turn on or off. This is a feature my lazy self has grown quite accustomed to.

Will I lose this functionality with the bitsetter? Has anybody figured out a way to make them both work? I assume the bit setter will be drawing electricity even when the router is off and therefore plugging that into the extractor will not do the trick.

I can’t help but feel like I’m gaining an auto-off feature on the machine and losing it on the dust collection. Overall I think I’d take shutting off a spinning cutter at 18,000 rip-ems automatically over the dust extractor, but I want my cake and to eat it to!

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

1 Like

Could you put a power strip on output of the bit runner and hook vac/router?
Otherwise I think @WillAdams has a festool vac ( I have one but I haven’t pulled it out of the box yet), and may be able to shed some light on it.

1 Like

Im not sure that would work. The outlet the router is plugged into is physically on the extractor.

I’m just impressed with your self-control. I dont think I had my festool home for more than 30 seconds before I opened it lol

It works fine to plug in the vacuum to the BitRunner, then the trim router/spindle to the vacuum — auto on/off of everything (well, on my older CT Midi which doesn’t have BlueTooth).

If the BitRunner is rated for the combined draw of your router and Festool MIDI, then yes, you can just plug them both into the BitRunner.

I didn’t see any specs, but there is a 15A 250V fuse in the BitRunner, which would seem to more than cover what you could plug into any single US outlet anyway (15 Amps, 120 volts). Hopefully, someone at Carbide3D can answer definitely.

You’ll have to experiment whether you still plug the router into the vac and then the vac into the BitRunner, or whether you need to just have the vac and router both set to ON then have a splitter or power strip so they can each be plugged into the BitRunner.

2 Likes

That just made my day good sir. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.