Door won't stay fully closed and chip fan won't stay on

that actually looks quite nice in addition to being functional!

My Nomad 3 is slightly older and the door hinge broke completely. I now attach the door using painter’s tape… :man_facepalming: I guess I should look around for similar hinge material.

The spindle fan is totally worn out and I have to carefully put it on so that it stays on. I usually rotate it at little bit, so that it doesn’t go on as designed, but slightly rotated, with friction. I think I’ll add air blast (from a compressor) instead of the spindle fan soon — the spindle fan is amazingly effective, but I had it fall off during machining and it’s not pretty.

As for the door-open detection switch, this thing gives me so much grief that I’d really like to get rid of it completely. I ruined jobs because the machine stopped and I thought it was for a tool change, so I changed the tool. The switch was also being triggered by the door sliding slightly because of vibrations, so I taped the whole area with painter’s tape, just to get a tighter fit. I need to disable/remove this switch permanently, I just don’t know how.

It would be really inappropriate for me to dig up this very old thread to give you hints

2 Likes

Well, hints very much appreciated, thanks :slight_smile: — but anything (e.g. magnets) placed on the sensor means that the door no longer fully closes. I was looking for something more permanent (AKA wire work).

I add a few drops of rubber cement to the inside of the fan, and let it dry before reinstalling. That lasts about 10 - 20 removal / replacement cycles, before I have to add more rubber cement. I’ve had no issues regarding vibration.

For the door, I use a medium sized binder clip on the jamb. It holds it shut, and I can still pop the door open if I see an emergency and panic to shut it down quickly.

1 Like

Door hinge upgrade material here:

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/3322/1793A61

It’s $12 plus shipping, and you’ll get enough to cut into 4 pieces. The original hinge broke within the first month of owning the machine. My replacement has lasted 2 years so far, and I have 3 spares now :wink:

1 Like

I was figuring that, if I needed to, I’d use a brass piano hinge, available at most hardware stores, but it down to the appropriate length, and put a backing 1/4" strip of wood on the opposite side of both the top and the door and use short screw to mount it. That would solve the hinge issue forever more. I had used one on a previous enclosure on a now-defunct CNC machine and it worked very well.

Most people just use binder clips, this is actually a pretty nice work around.

The spring clamp I was using worked the same way, but the Nomad is on a cart and , when I put it away, the space is just wide enough. If I happen to leave the clamp on, it will catch. With the magnet, I have no such worries.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.