Double Stick Tape Questions

I just put in my order for a Pro XXL and am very excited. Gonna get to work building a table and setting other things up. I forgot to pitch a roll of the double stick tape into the cart when I made my order. I found a thread for 2020 on the subject, but was wondering what the latest consensus was on which tapes were the best?

I have done some CnC work before, and had trouble sticking tape to bit leveled leveled MDF. The surface left is rough/fuzzy enough that tape doesn’t like it. Do you guys spread finish (shellac, polyurethane, etc) on after a wasteboard leveling to get the tape to stick better?

-Chase

Carpet tape seems to work well:

Or, blue painter’s tape and cyanoacrylate.

I have my S03 XXL in a garage in Houston,Tx without air-conditioning . So I always put some shellac on the MDF after leveling. I can’t say for sure if it helps the tape hold better, but I can say I’ve never had any come loose. I started with double sided tape. I seemed to get a lot of the glue on the end of the end mill. I switched to blue painter’s tape and CA glue (and activator) about a year ago with good results (so far).

Congrats on the PRO!

After surfacing my spoilboard I run a 150 grit sanding block over the surface the vaccum it.

1 Like

I only use blue tape and cyanoacrylate. I have been using a wallpaper roller to make sure the blue tape adheres to the wasteboard (and the stock for the other side), and this works perfectly even on moderately worn out MDF surface. I also only use the 3M blue tape now, after testing cheaper ones and having issues.

3 Likes

The roller is very useful.

I use a brayer roller (an ink roller) rather than a paint roller, and it’s the bee’s knees for applying even pressure across flat surfaces.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.