Dust Boot for 4in Hose (e.g. dust collectors)

Are there any solutions for connecting a 4in hose to the shapeoko? In particular one that doesn’t strangle the cfm. I’ve been using my shop vacuum with the shapeoko, but it’s louder and clogs up much sooner than my dust collector. A dust collector seems ideal for large volumes of dust.

I have a Jet DC1100 with 4 inch hose but I reduce to 2.5 to fit on to dust shoe. The Shapeoko works well with the big DC and the smaller hose. The problem with a 4 inch hose at the dust shoe is it is heavy and awkward to get around. With the Jet there is plenty of CFM to remove chips. I hardly have any dust escape. On occasion I have to remove the dust skirt because I am cutting very deep and do not want to crash the dust show into the work. Even with the skirt removed I get most of the dust.

I have not seen any dust shoes with a 4 inch inlet but you could 3d print one or see if there is a maker’s space near you and get someone to print it for you.

I have the Jet DC1100VX which is just the newer version. I already have an adapter for 4in down to 2.5in that I can try out. I’ll see how well that works. I just hate doing that because dust collectors really work best at low static pressure and high cfm. 2.5in hose will reduce cfm by at least 60%.

CFM is more of an efficiency rating rather than power. Any 2 year old can blow on a pile of dust and move particles. It doesn’t take much. At most, you’re going to have about 10’ of 2.5" hose. Try not to think of it in terms of a 60% power loss, rather a reduction of efficiency just in that 10’ section. You’d need a meter to tell any difference, because it’s likely not even noticeable.

I have a HF 2 h.p. DC (with a Dust Deputy and cartridge filter) and have the hose reduced at each machine from the main 4" to 2.5". It actually increases the velocity at the dust shoe to only have one 2.5" hose at one machine versus a couple of 2.5" hoses open at both machines. Velocity catches more dust it seems and I rarely have a clogging issue. Only when I am cutting something stringy. The HF isn’t the highest CFM out there for sure, so your mileage may vary.

1 Like

I designed a 4" Suckit compatible dust boot. Unfortunately, you need the rest of the Suckit hardware, and a 3D printer, plus parts from McMaster-Carr.

1 Like

That looks very interesting. I already have a 3d printer so I may look into just fabricating my own dust boot for a future project.

Are you liking your Huanyang spindle? I have the 65mm 110V on my bench. The runout, noise, and ER collet system are a nice upgrade from the trim routers. I’d like to build a knee mill in the future with an ER20 spindle to really hog out aluminum.

Yes, very much. I have the 80mm 1.5kW 220V verswion, but I very rarely push it hard at all. The runout and precise RPM control are my two favorite things.

Check out the stuff at Dan’s https://pwncnc.com/ , because he offers a lot of his products source on his Thingverse site.

For myself, I’ve had his V2 dust boot for a couple of years or so, and it hasn’t given me any problems. He has several versions available for different cnc machines.

Recommended.

I’m not sure if your vacuum system is plumbed or not…but on my “plumbed” system, I have whatever step down adapters that are needed immediately following the gates on the down-tubes on lines that lead to smaller diameter machines. The hoses that come from those adapters are at the size of the machine’s port - which works very well. I would put the adapter as close to the collector as possible, and then run the right-sized hose to the Shapeoko. At a minimum, this would remove the weight of the adapter from the gantry.

1 Like

I’ll try to post a photo of my dust collection setup. I found a dust boot on Amazon that bolts around a 65mm spindle and has a 100mm (roughly 4 inch) connection for the dust hose.

The link is here: dust boot

The nice thing about it is that there are actually two pieces. One small piece mounts to the spindle via friction fit and is held on with one tightening bolt. The second, larger piece slides on to the smaller piece and is where the dust hose connects. After removing the larger piece, you can access the spindle on three sides, so it’s very easy to take off the large piece, change the endmill, then replace the large piece.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.