Dust collection with Festool and Oneida?

I have a Festool CT 26 HEPA Dust Extractor and a Oneida 5 Gallon
Dust Deputy Deluxe. Just wondering how I can hook it up to my Nomad 883. Ideally I would like to cut a hole in the side and just hook them up. I dont want to modify the head at all. Will that get rid of all the dust from the cutting head or so i need to hook up some fan arrangement on the other side as well ? I want a blow through type system, preferably with only the Festool as the power source rather than hooking up another fan on the other side.

1 Like

I haven’t modified mine yet, but one option is @FlatBaller’s method, and @patofoto has a method that I’m waiting to take a look at (hoping for pictures soon if the tutorial is too hard to get to, hint hint ;))

those are at the milling head. i wanted something which would suck the wood chips dust shavings etc from the side. i dont like the head mounts since you cant see what the tool is doing. maybe an air gun to blow the part periodically and push everything into the dust extractor tube would work ?

The Festool has some serious air velocity and vacuum so it can easily move the necessary amount of air.

A dust head is best in that it achieves the best possible air quality by removing the swarf/dust immediately.

Maintaining negative pressure on the enclosure will also provide a safe air experience, just remember to vacuum up the swarf/dust that is visible.

Regardless, be sure to allow the vacuum to run for a few minutes after a job finishes to ensure the enclosure is cleared.

What you need is to make a hole in the side or back of the enclosure - or the front if you like the @FlatBaller method. An adapter for you hose and your there.

My Festool uses the 50 mm tubing so I cut a hole in my enclosure and mounted this on the outside:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OCAY66?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

and this is on the inside (but I’m using a dust head).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AX5I8VA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Here you can see how I did it. This is my custom enclosure but using the Nomad enclosure works exactly the same.

They are caulked and screwed in.

For the Nomad, one could just use the D4236, cutting it down to match your tubing.

If the vacuum is making too much noise, consider adding more holes - but only enough to maintain the negative pressure. My experience is that the Nomad enclosure is pretty leaky so I don’t expect that to be necessary.

I use simulation extensively and I have sufficient experience that I don’t feel I need to see things as they move plus I want the fastest, best and safest form of particle removal. YMMV.

mark

I did something along those lines. I didn’t feel up to duplicating FlatBaller’s head-mounted rig. Instead, I bought a Shop-Vac adapter. I removed the back panel from my Nomad, drilled out a 2.25" hole with a hole saw, then stuck the rubber adapter in the hole and drilled out the four mounting holes, then put bolts&nuts through them. This left the “stepped cone” sticking out the back of the Nomad. Basically, you find which “step” in the cone fits the end of your vacuum hose, and saw off the smaller steps.
I just ran the hose from the Nomad to the Dust Deputy, and from the DD to my HEPA vacuum, and voila! I had so much suction I actually prop the front door of the Nomad open by 0.25" or so to assist airflow. But since I started using it I haven’t had a single whiff of sawdust leak out – even my irritable sinuses can’t find anything to complain about! :grinning:
And, since the hose just press-fits onto the rubber adapter snugly, I can simply unplug the hose from my Nomad at will and use it to vacuum the heavy debris out of the Nomad.

1 Like

I don’t know what the ramifications of this are (more dust and shavings lodged in belts and drives and spindles and other sensitive parts?), but you could potentially add a collet fan to blow away the cutting area, with the negative pressure from your dust collector containing and sucking up the bad particles…

can you post a pic of your rig ? sounds ideal. is there any difference from doing it for the back vs the side ? Side seems better to me but maybe back is a lot better.

I don’t know what the ramifications of this are (more dust and shavings lodged in belts and drives and spindles and other sensitive parts?), but you could potentially add a collet fan to blow away the cutting area, with the negative pressure from your dust collector containing and sucking up the bad particles…

In machining we’re taught to never blow air around a mill! Only manually brush or vacuum. Don’t use pressurized air around a mill!

Why?

Because this can force particles into belts, spindles, and tools causing nasties.

The collet fan potentially creates quite a particle mess. Without a dust head, the air flow may not be sufficient to remove the particles sufficiently to avoid nasty things to the spindles, belts and such. Conceptually, if things work out, this could be a nice combo.

I think of it this way:

If you’re just interested in have healthy air one can pull the vacuum through a hole in the enclosure anywhere it makes sense to them.

If you’re interested in the safest possible healthy air and minimizing the machining mess before it even gets created, one wants a dust head… which means a hole in the enclosure and tubing within the enclosure. Based on experiments that @patofoto and I did on the Nomad 883 and Nomad 883 Pro I don’t think that coming through the sides works well when a dust head is involved. Use the front or the back. For many, the back will be more aesthetically pleasing.

See here for rear exit:

See here for front exit:

mark

Well, what few pics I took are in this thread, with some more detail.

As for back vs side, I went with the back b/c I’d already had the back panel off in the past and was familiar with how to get it off and on, and it’s thinner than the side panels. Plus, my table layout made the back panel more attractive. But I see no reason why the side wouldn’t work just as well, and potentially better under some circumstances.