Dust shoe videos collection

I spent more time than I care to admit browsing for various types of cameras that would be suitable for integration in my dust shoe (= small AND with very short minimal focusing distance), and I’m not a patient man so Ali was a no-no this time, I settled for

• an “endoscope” style one, same form factor as the one I have now, just 1600x1200 instead of 640x480.
  • a bare module I’ll have to print a casing for, 1920 x 1080 at 30fps and1280 x 720 at 60fps. Not hugely different, but I read some good reviews on this module so we’ll see.

It turned out to be difficult to find models that do NOT have autofocus (which is the opposite of what I need for these shots), and are NOT wifi. I made a note about a few 120fps and 330fps modules, we’ll see.

3 Likes

I just purchased this one It’s coming on Monday. 8mp and 180 degrees wide-angle lens.

2 Likes

Great! Do not hesitate to post your videos here, along with associated feeds & speeds.

4 Likes

So 3 things

One - on the full rotation it slows down presumably this is the ramp and it plunge feed and speed?

Two - I know like me you too are embracing hsm would love to see same cut under hsm if that would even work - just to be clear hsm to me is adaptive both ways deep doc and shallow WOC

Five - could you link end mill apologize if you have reading on phone

PS love this camera angle !! Cncing is so relaxing to watch lol

3 Likes

I agree, I think there should be open livestreams of machining to use as background…

6 Likes

Yeah I was messing with various ramp feedrates, so in this specific cut I must have used a ramp feedrate slower than the cutting feedrate. No particular reason, as ramping full speed into plastics works just fine.

I guess I never had to mill deep pockets in plastics so far so I never felt the need to try this, but I guess there is no reason why it wouldn’t work well. I don’t have a baseline value for optimal load in plastics with adaptive cuts, so I’ll try this and report, for science !

That’s the Amana #51404 from this kit

It’s a great cutter, but in hindsight I should have used a cheapo 1/8" single-flute to do tests cuts and make my silly mistakes, and then used the Amana once I had my toolpaths correct.

It is, right? I found out that I need to be careful though, it takes my attention away from the rest of what is going on…

3 Likes

soooo i decided i must stop this, and by this, i mean waiting for others to do what i should not be afraid of doing. So i wanted to know as above can you HSM acrylic…

And with that ladies and gents the following is a crazy demo, way out of my comfort zone, this cut video had these F&S. Stock was 6.5 mm cast acrylic cut was DOC 5mm WOC 1.27mm end mill was a 2 flute non coated 3.175mm straight.

notes on the video - it starts just as the cut is ending, this is because total job run time was 25seconds, and for the first few seconds had my hand over the panic button!

2nd i suck at videoing so sorry,

3rd for those who don’t know the word “Clisp” this not a mistake as it clearly sounds, but rather as you all know machining terms for “Clean & Crisp” again i suck at taking videos :slight_smile:

enjoy

HSM acrylic

as always any questions please let me know

Jon

5 Likes

Look at those long chips! satisfying, right ? :+1:
Now that you have crossed one item off my todo list (THANKS!), you might as well participate to my current mini-quest of determining the best recipe for getting perfect smooth wall finish in acrylic, to remove the need for any kind of manual finishing ('cause torching acrylic is for sadists ! :smiling_imp:)

4 Likes

That’s pretty impressive, seems the folks at Datron think fast is the way to go on Acrylic too, but I think their machine is a bit more expensive…

2 Likes

Well I received those two cameras, and it’s an epic fail:

• the endoscope does support 1600x1200…at 10fps (which was obviously not stated in the description, sigh). It also heats up significantly (whaaat?)
  • the module is excellent, great image and resolution…but it won’t focus below 10" or so…useless for my dust shoe context.

Printing the return form as I speak.
Aaaand I’m back to infinite browsing mode to find something else to get now.

@ispot did you get yours and did you have a chance to test it ?

Here are my target specs, in case anyone has a good recommendation:

• USB Plug and play (not silly proprietary interface that would require me to install suspicious software, I want to launch Window’s “Camera” app and for it to just work. It’s almost always the case, but…)
  • 1920x1080 or better at 30fps
  • [some decent resolution] at 60fps, bonus poins for 120fps
  • Focusing distance starting at around 1.5"
  • fixed or manually adjustable focus
  • small enough that attaching it to the side of a dust shoe won’t look completely weird and hinder machine travel.
  • ideally, with a LONG cable
  • willing to put up to $150 on this thing.

If anyone has a wifi endoscope camera, is it plug and play too on a Windows PC or does it require third party software ?

2 Likes

lol, mine was fine resolution wise but it did not have a short focus distance, I could not get it to focus on anything closer than 5". For the past two days I’ve been looking & comparing before I order. This time, I will be getting one that will record audio as well.

1 Like

There are some Raspberry Pi cameras that might do the trick.

Of course, then you’ll have to do a bit of Linux but…

2 Likes

@ispot : let me know if you find something interesting, I’ll be doing the same.
@LiamN: yeah I’m comfortable messing with linux, but do I want to right now…very different question :slight_smile: There are some interesting associated videos there though, I have some Youtubing to do.

2 Likes

I am sure I saw something on a John Saunders video about them using a fisheye lense Infront of camera to provide good closeups will try and dig it up

2 Likes

@Sherpa You don’t need to get a separate fisheye lens. There are tons of cameras that come with a fisheye lens. The one I just returned back to Amazon had a fisheye lens. The fisheye lens is good for the width of the eyesight but it has nothing to do with the focal distance. I and Julien are looking for a camera with a good short focal distance.

@LiamN No Raspberry Pi camera has specs or features that are more than standard USB cameras. Actually, it’s the other way around. USB camera’s out specs what’s available for Rasperi Pi.

@Julien you will be the first to know :slight_smile:

@Julien Please, consider typing a post about milling Acrylic, from start to best quality smooth finish.

2 Likes

I keep circling around those ELP cameras, bulkier than I would like but not impossible to mount either

that should get me 640x480 at 120fps for slowmo, and full HD at 30fps for regular shots.
If the specs are not lying, that is.
That specific reference showed up in a video where the guy focuses an inch away in front of the camera, so that lens should be fine.

…I’ll keep looking a bit.

3 Likes

If I’m reading this bit correctly;

Modèles en option:ELP-USBFHD01M-BFV (2.8-12mm)
2.0Megapixel résolution 1080p
Capteur: 1 / 2,7 "CMOS OV2710

Then they’ve got a nice small sensor and an effective short focal length lens which should give a decent depth of field once focussed close up for the dust shoe deployment.

The smaller the sensor the better for getting DoF and not getting only the cutter tip in focus and the rest blurry.

3 Likes

We’ll know on Monday, I could not resist any longer :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Trying higher feedrates in acrylic tonight
1/4" O-flute (Amana 51411) 18000RPM at 3500mm/min (140ipm), 1mm DOC

It sounds like it’s not even trying, I’m curious how fast I can push it further.

5 Likes