Electrical question - is this a viable temporary solution?

Finally, I have managed to get around to tidying up the spaghetti of wires on my Standard sized SO3. I had considered a drag chain set up but there is really not much room for siting drag chains unless one adds some sort of tray and/or bracket arrangement to the external faces of the Y axis rails. Being limited for space, I prefer not to consider that option although I will note that the Igus company were fantastic… with superb pre-sales support. The assistant I dealt with had offered to calculate chain lengths, bends and internal spacing for me, as well as arranging to let me discuss my needs with one of their engineers over Microsoft Teams. I have found some reasonable 1 inch diameter, split flexible plastic tube which I can use for my cable management system.

I have my stepper motor data cables attached to the X axis rail from both both motors and they run into the control board box, as per the assembly guide so they are out of the way. My power lead was kept away from the data cables by using zip ties as a standoff. I have my laser management cables attached to a couple of additional pins to the PWR and GRD locations on the main control board. The laser is 4.2W and is from JTech and has its own separate control box, which I have attached by drilling and tapping a couple of M4 holes in the plate covering the Carbide control box.

I have run the power lead as suggested in the assembly guide and wish to cover that with some plastic tube so that friction damage will be less likely as the lead moves.I have held the laser wires from the fan and the laser head with velcro faced zip ties. The wires from the JTech laser control box are very long and they terminate in a couple of connectors that I don’t have and my crimping tool cannot accommodate. My intuition is that the correct thing to do would be to shorten those wires, and change the once only Molex type connectors. For now, there is an excessive amount of spare wire from the JTech control box to the laser head. An additional factor is that the laser head is removable so the wires have to be neat or else they may become damaged. I recently noticed a pressure mark where the main lead had become trapped by a carriage movement.

My temporary solution has been to coil the wires exiting from the laser control box and place them inside a flexible plastic sleeve. The sleeve fits conveniently over the Z axis motor and I am concerned that the toroidal shape may be detrimental in some manner unknown to me. I have been considering inductive possibilities from the looped wire. Would the stepper motor body magnify any electrical field which could be induced by the coil of wire? The laminar construction of the stepper motor suggests that the individual plates are possibly some sort of control for eddy currents. The current flow from the JTech control box to the laser head is probably DC, which I believed does not create any flux to become an inductive current. My understanding of electricity is sadly, very rudimentary and I would appreciate some advice. thank you.

1 Like

Hi Jeffrey,

I don’t think you need to worry: the interface between the laser controller and the laser is indeed a DC current that does not care much about EMI just because EMI is typically high frequency and low amplitude, so whatever interference may be picked up by the power wire would turn out to have a completely negligible effect on the output/laser intensity modulation (i.e. the regulated current to the laser diode is in the order of 1Amp, and EMI would likely generate micro/milliAmps spikes…)

(pic from the JTech user manual)

I’ll show you my lazy/messy wiring setup…which happens to have the same extra length of wire to the laser controller, and it works just fine (it does not go near the Z stepper motor, but I don’t think it would change anything)

3 Likes

Thank you Julien, I am really glad you are here. That is very helpful information. With your kind permission, I would like to steal the idea of a metal plate fixed to a wall to hang the laser head from when it is not being used.

As an aside… à propos milling speeds and feeds. I purchased the static version of Millalyzer yesterday and now I don’t feel quite so much in the dark. The help files are really informative. In other words, I am now free to forge ahead and break my own endmills with great skill.

Edit: To fix the English writing use of apropos because I am writing to you in France. :grin:

2 Likes

I can share the wall support for the laser head if you want (and have a laser printer), but I’m not quite sure the latest JTech heads have the same design.

:+1:

I can tell when newcomers learn incredibly fast and will rush right past me in no time, and you’re one of those :slight_smile:

Appreciate the effort ! :slight_smile:

Thank you, Julien. I was only going to screw a piece of metal into the wall and not make the same sort of effort, defined by your drawing, to hold the laser head. I figured that the relatively powerful magnet (the width and depth of the shroud housing) would hold the head to any sort of junk piece of steel.

Just consider it is a function of advancing years. In my eighth decade everything has to be accomplished much more quickly. This is primarily because we are never sure when the grim reaper will arrive and spoil our fun. :grin:

Je vous en prie

1 Like