EMI freeze, but not sure from where

I would almost say it is required to have a large output filter/ferrite core for proper EMI management with Chinese VFDs.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the power line EMI filter and the ferrite cores ordered. I guess what threw me is Iā€™ve used it for a year with no problems, then it hit. No changes on anything lately.

Yep,

EMI can be funny that way. One thing that does happen is that capacitors tend to reduce in capacitance with age, especially cheap ones in low-price drives and this can increase the EMI output from the VFD. Also the noise sensitivity of the power brick for the Shapeoko and the PSU for your computer will also increase with age for the same component ageing reasons.

1 Like

Latest update, the EMI filter is installed and that didnā€™t fix it. The ferrite coils havenā€™t came in yet. Brandon from Shapeoko tech is supposed to be sending something that he thinks will be the answer. Iā€™ll keep the thread updated as we trudge along.

5 Likes

The great gang in support did it again! Sent me a package that had an USB isolator, spindle ground strap and an EMI filter for the power cord. I installed everything except the EMI filter because it was for a 110 router and I have one installed for a 220v spindle. Ran the program it kept stopping in, worked great! Then ran another couple of programs that required a tool change, stopping and starting the spindle during the same program, and again ran all the way through.
Thanks again for all the help on a subject Iā€™m sure has been beat to death! So anyone researching a disconnect error codeā€¦1. EMI filter for the power into router/spindle. 2. USB isolator plugs into the computer and the control cable. 3. Run a ground from the router/spindle mount and a wall outlet. I hope that helps! And again a big thank you!

7 Likes

So glad to hear it all came together for youā€¦ This is a frustrating thing to track down!

Time for more chips :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Basil,from day one I am yet to complete a job on mine and it has been nearly a year??Frustrating but today hopefully I get the package from support as you have and it solves all the issues.We are on 240 volts so need to get a few adapters and we are into it tomorrow.It is great to hear you are all happy with it.

Thanks Nick! Yeah Graham, the EMI filter I used was for a 240 system. Highly recommend ordering one for 240. The rest will plug right in. Been a few days and havenā€™t had a hick-up. Keep us informed on how this works for you. Best of luck!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.