Yes, this is most likely a communication disconnect induced by EMI/static charge build-up.
There are a variety of threads on this topic that you can search as there are many recipes to fight this, but the most popular (/effective) fix is to ground your dust collection hose (wrap a copper wire around its end, and tie it to the the router mount for example)
Unfortunately there is no definitive/deterministic way to tackle such issues, but your best bets are
to test various grounding options. If the disconnect happen “often enough”, that is a very good news to have a fighting chance (the very worst that can happen, is that disconnects happen so seldom that identifying the root cause takes forever). You may want to identify a known good ground somewhere in your setup, and hook up a wire with an alligator clip to various (conductive) parts of the machine, you may see the problem going away suddendly, and then you know which part is improperly grounded. The router is a common culprit.
if it is very dry right now where you live, try the water spray/humidifier.
For the investigation itself don’t bother connecting at the board level, you could just try to run a wire from somewhere on the machine plates, to the known good ground/earth, and then do the same for the moving parts (X/Z gantry, router). Quick and dirty, just to create an evacuation path for static charges, to see if it changes anything (since it can be a completely different thing, there are multiple possible sources for disconnects)
On top of trying other senders as Neil said, I would suggest you try to run the job that gives you the issue, as an air job and with the router turned off the whole time. If the disconnects go away, somehow it’s still an EMI issue and something is still not grounded properl somewhere. If the disconnects continue to happen, then it’s probably not EMI (considering what you have done so far to address it)
I’m curious to know if a Noise supressor will have any impact on EMI or static discharge. One of the issue with USB is that it loses connection between the computer and the Shapeoko controller. It could be due to an unstable USB on the computer port
I kept getting a disconnect issue that was driving me insane. 50% done with a 2 hour cut time let’s disconnect, restart make it to 94% then disconnect, why not. It takes a lot for me to get frustrated enough that it shows but at this point I took my hearing protection off and whipped it at the bench, the wife just happened to walk into the garage at that moment and she was like WTF I’ve never seen you do that. Long frustrating story short I took some 16gauge (or there about) and grounded everything. Ran a wire from a screw on the router, one from a bolt on the z axis, one from a bolt in the right y extrusion, one from the left side of the gantry, and even used copper tape (or whatever it is called) to tape a wire to the body of my MacBook Pro and ran them all to one of the bolts that holds the enclosure for the board. I have not had a disconnect since then. Maybe try giving that a shot and see if it helps only took about 30 minutes so even if it doesn’t you’re not wasting a bunch of time.
I’ll include photos in case my explanation isn’t as clear as I had hoped.