Feed & Speed for 90 vee tip

I burned up my first 90 v tip with a total of a 216" v channel 0.25" deep (6 8x10 birch plywood panels). I used the standard #301 vee settings (Stepover 0.118, depth per pass 0.05, plunge rate 10.0, feed rate 25.0 inches per minute) with 19800 rpms. Any thoughts on what I should tweek to make my next blade last longer?

You should feed twice faster, circa 50-60ipm for 20k RPM, it will increase the chipload (size of the bites the bit takes in the wood at each revolution) which will prevent rubbing/burning

Your bit may look burned but it is most likely the glue in the birch plywood. Since it seems a loss to you it wont hurt to soak it for a while in a bit cleaner, use a brass brush, let it soak some more. If the blades of the bit feel sharp you are done. If they do not feel sharp use a fine/superfine diamond card to dress up the carbide. Use the card on the flats of the bit blades not on the short side of the blade. Use 10-15 strokes on each side. Do the same on both blades. If a bit is physically damaged the card will not help but just a slightly dull bit can rejuvenate it. Look closely at the very pointed tip with a magnifier/loop to see if it is rounded over. If it is rounded over toss it or use for a roughing pass.

Take a look on youtube like How to sharpen your own router bits with a diamond hone - YouTube

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.