Finally got some "me time" and almost have the enclosure finished

Can you elaborate a bit on your new wasteboard/clamp tandem@ orlrobinson? It appears this is additional MDF sitting atop the stock wasteboard? I’m liking the rail clamp options after stweing on this for a few weeks.

I may be asking for your dust shoe details depending on how my hack turns out… it’s a $14 experiment (shipped) sans the felt or plastic skirting I’ll add.

very nice work. working on getting my dust deputy setup, tried a chinese knock off, see if it works :neutral_face:

1 Like

the dust shoe i use is this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1243484 and the t-track is this
http://www.rockler.com/48-universal-t-track-with-hold-down-clamps
http://www.rockler.com/rockler-18-24-aluminum-miter-bar
http://www.rockler.com/universal-t-track-universal-t-track

1 Like

@Jim Amos correct i used 3/4 mdf and dado the slots on it for the t-track and it sits on top on the stock waste board

A shop vac can supply a much larger pressure drop than a dust collector so you should be fine. I’d suggest keeping the hoses at 2" ID but it will still have plenty of flow even with a 1.5" ID hose inside your enclosure…

1 Like

You did any modification on the dust shoe, or it fit perfectly for shapeoko 3?( because it sayis for the x carve). I was thinking print it but was afraid it do not work, thanks.

Click on the picture above its installed on the shapeoko 3 :slight_smile:

no mods just need to file its track system to slide smoothly when taking on/off

Very nice setup, can you elaborate on the purpose of the miter bar at the front of the setup ? Rigidity ?

Thanks

Miter bar was just somthing to have as a starting point and somthing square to put the stock against

Catching up,I ended up putting the Dust Deputy in.Im using the 5.75hp 16gal shop vac with 2 1/2" hose from vac to deputy and from deputy to a reducer on the side of the enclosure it reduces down to 1 1/2" to the dust shoe.I added a bungie cord with a ballend and an eyelet to keep the hose out of the way.I also had to cut a ring out of another 5gal bucket and slip in inside the deputy collection as it was caving in without it.

Im using a diffrent dust shoe now

Its magnetic and alot faster to create.found it here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1645328 made the brushes from craft foam sheets from michaels (A craft store here) and used gorilla super glue to attach it,its the clear kind that dosent expand.
Hard to take a pic of or see but i added led’s under the x axis the complete lenght of the gantry

I also put the router/vac/and lights on a remote system,Has been working great,added a spidy fan grille too :slight_smile:

Excuse the wire mess,I really need to tidy up.
I ended up relocating the emergency stop switch,was interfering with the drag chain from time to time and used the shapeoko dog tag to hide the hole.I prefer its location now with it all by itsself.

Santa was good to me this year and got a new tv for the house,the best part the shop got the old 40" hand me down

its connected to a dell small form factor with an i5 processor.

Still have a few more needs but its coming along.

2 Likes

Great looking work and a very nice looking system overall Mark!

Nice project! I seem to work more ON my Shapeoko rather than using it! But I use it enough when I need it.
This is certainly a well thought out enclosure with cool features. Thanks for documenting with pictures, we all love pictures!

Now, while some must have (or really prefer) to have the Shapeoko in an enclosure. In my case, I can live with the noise. The best advantage to this is that I have full easy access to the machine for adjustments, inspections, cleaning, etc.

It’s something to think about, and I’m sure you have.

1 Like

Thank you! @jimidi

Thank you @DJ_Valenski ive also thought up a plan so i can clean and inspect and still enjoy the enclosure.Im not sure when ill get around to doing it but ill def post pics when i do.

Ripped out my 3/4" mdf with the t-track,Not sure if it was the weather or just the wood but it was like all the dado’s cut for the t-track created a relief and there was a huge amount of bow in the board.from front left to middle on a surfacing run at .050 it would skim the left and air cut middle/right.Heres some pics of the new waste/spoil 1" mdf 396 holes with threaded inserts at 2" spacing.All seems to be flat again,Just finished tapping some more threads for drag chains.will get some test cuts in later tonight/tomorrow and hopefully back in the game/I missed the week 3 weekly build due to the flu and ive missed week 4 cause the machine was in peices,hopefully i can get some coasters cut and make up for lost time :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Glad you are getting this done… This is my next project as well.

1 Like

Didnt get alot of time in this weekend but i did seal the inside of the enclosure with liquid nails while i still had the machine out.

Heres a few pics of how i did the drag chain.The one end is pretty basic the other end on both sets i mounted the link and then the chain mounts back down onto it.Both ends just used a 4mm tap to thread the holes.

Thats pretty much it for this weekend.

3 Likes

I had to do a double take on that bottom photo… it’s a “link cap”!

I too have screw-anchored drag chains. I stole links from the Y-rail chain so my X-chain is flush to the Y-stepper bracket (no gappage).

2 Likes

While getting little time with the S3 as of late i did manage to surface the wasteboard some and got the suckit installed.

2 Likes