Finding this on my extensions where vwheels glide

Finding these black flakes as described in title. Are my eccentrics too tight perhaps? I’m able to scrape these loose with a finger nail. Thx

Most likely it’s milling debris / dust getting flattened against the extrusions — I usually use a cotton swab to clean my wheels as needed and when I remember, this doesn’t happen, when it does, it’s a reminder to clean things.

The community has notes on cleaning / maintenance at: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Operating_Checklist

4 Likes

Agreed, I get that when cutting MDF or anything that creates a fine dust. A dust collection system helps.

2 Likes

Well, that’s a relief. I’ve been getting this, too. While cutting MDF. I was worried that I had my v-wheels too tight or something.

2 Likes

I clean that off with an old toothbrush after each job/end of day, if left on for too long it gets hard to get off and needs a srub with something more abrasive

1 Like

cool. just making sure it wasn’t my v-wheels degrading from being too tight

1 Like

I initially thought that it was from the wheels and panicked about it. Generally any timber I cut results in that debris on all axis, as well as the wheels.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.