Today, I finally took the time to design and cut a 3D project in VCarve Pro. It was only an experiment but I learned a lot and I’m happy with the results. Here is the info on the project:
Design using VCarve Pro
3D Model: Horse from Design and Make in VCarve library
Material: Yellow Birch 6" X 5.5" X 0.75"
Roughing: 0.250- 3 flute endmill (201), Raster X along grain DOC 0.15, WOC 0.0125, RPM 17K FR 175 PR 53 Ramp .75
Finish: 0.125 -2 flute ball endmill (101) Cut along Y (cross grain), WOC 0.01", RPM 30K, FR 55, PR 17
Hold down: Masking Tape and Glue
Total milling time was about 3hrs.
Issue: Some shatter on roughing when plunging and made a few marks on the project but these were removed in the detail pass. This may be due in part to the excessive stickout, I had used the same endmill to reach deep for another project and did not reset the bit in the collar.
In the end, the project needed very little sanding and I put 2 coats of clear lacker mat finish.