First Machine - Pro Setup Complete

All - first post here…just finished setting up my Pro and I’m more than satisfied with the actual hardware. The build was incredibly easy compared to XCarve (I had purchased an XCarve and returned it after 8 hours of setup/build - I was very disappointed with the flex in the rails and the lack of robustness). Incidentally, it took me 1 hour to get to the same spot with the Pro Build. I was especially impressed with the subkitting and pre-assembly that Carbide3D does for the customer. I love building, but it completely makes sense for the “manufacturer” to assembly many of the items ahead of time if they can, simple to reduce errors, allow a more reliable completion time, and ensure there are no unnecessary variances built into the highly precision machine/process. I literally had bags and bags of components with the XCarve. The Pro was all preassembled into 10 Major components and even boxed with the steps on the boxes. WELL Done Carbid3D.

At this point, however, the software seems to leave a lot to be desired, especially with a $160 fee per year for the CarbideCreate Pro (Easel was included for 3 years with a purchase of the XCarve). It seems very short sited for them to do this (I talked to them numerous times giving them an opportunity to change their stance - I feel they should at least give a free year to CarbideCreatePro). And yes, I have installed the software (free for a month) and also know the 2D is included - I didn’t think that was clear enough in the details). I absolutely would have purchased the PRO regardless, and I think it’s a fantastic machine - I just think it doesn’t make sense to charge for the PRO software from the get go, especially when I’m purchasing the most advanced machine.

Now as far as the Pro Software is concerned, I’m a newbie to 3D machining, but have used many different CAD software packages. I’m disappointed (so far) with the challenges of the basic tools in CarbideCreate Pro. It seems decent for bringing in models and doing toolpaths, but that means I have to have the software transfers even if I want something simple. I’m “drinking from a firehose” learning the ins/outs, and I’m sure there’s lots of lightbulbs that will go off as I progress, but my first impression on the software is fair to mediocre and even further down on the scale with the purchase model.

That being said, in EVERY other aspect, Carbide3D product AND the company seems to be stellar. The kit was perfect except some screws for the base were missing. The rest of the kit was so perfect I was sure I must have lost them (still think I might have) and so I spent a day looking for them. When I called them, they immediately overnighted them.

I bought the bit setter and it works well, though I’m already a little impatient with the setup, homing (I’m going to write a separate post question on trying to change the homing from the back rear and/or the homing speed).

Just my initial thoughts from a newcomer to CNC.

2 Likes

If you really want to get into 3D machining toolpaths, my first thought is to recommend something like Fusion 360 (EDIT: You can actually get this for free with limitations. You will hit the limitations pretty quick in my opinion so I would recommend paying for the subscription at some point). I don’t know any 3D CAM software that I am willing to recommend that doesn’t cost something. For 2D, regular Carbide Create is great for beginners and is free.

As for the steep learning curve, just keep at it. I am pretty comfortable now but it took me a bunch of time to get to this point. I would suggest trying to start with 2D and learning one aspect at a time. Use cheap end mills and materials to do a bunch of learning.

1 Like

One can use pretty much any software one wishes — which you choose depends on what sort of work you wish to do and how you wish to approach it.

Notable choices:

• Autodesk Fusion 360 — well-suited to 3D mechanical stuff if one is willing to put up w/ Autodesk and “the cloud”
  • Alibre Atom3D/MeshCAM (or Workshop, which is a bundled MeshCAM) — locally installed 3D mechanical CAD software
  • Shapr3D/MeshCAM — for the cool folks who want to do 3D modeling on an iPad w/ an Apple Pencil and who are willing to make monthly payments

The free/opensource options would be FreeCAD and Solvespace — that latter would either export DXFs to Carbide Create, or make STLs for MeshCAM, pyCAM, or FreeMill

For decorative works the usual suspects beyond Carbide Create are:

• Vectric Vcarve
  • CarveCo

There are some additional inexpensive options which may merit investigation: CamBam, EstlCAM, PixelCNC

If you’d let us know what sort of work you wish to do and how you wish to approach it we’ll do our best to assist.

1 Like

Welcome @keddiel. This will probably be the better forum to ask questions.

if you can get from cad to an stl model you can create basic zigzag style tool paths using the browser based tools i created…

I thought the BitSetter was integrated with the Pro?

It is. (BitSetter is a standard part of the Shapeoko Pro models as noted in the announcement)

https://blog.carbide3d.com/2020/nomad-3-plus-something-else/

BitSetter is our absolute favorite accessory and it’s something we’re very proud of. We created it with the original Nomad and then eventually moved to the Shapeoko. We’ve heard from many users who have one that it’s become an indispensable part of their workflow.

If we’re going to call a machine “Pro” it’s got to come with BitSetter.

That’s what I thought. OP says he/she bought the BitSetter and I was confused. Thanks.

Sorry…I meant BitZero rather than BitSetter. You’re right…it is integrated into the device.

Can one use Shapr for CAD and send the output to the “MeshCAM Pro for Alibre” part of the Alibre Workshop bundle?

Yes. This is a popular workflow for folks who have iPad Pros and Apple Pencils and a license for either MeshCAM, or Alibre Workshop which includes MeshCAM Pro.

Excellent. Thanks. I like the idea of being able to use my iPad Pro to design or modify a design, but not sure how often I will need that. I WILL need MeshCAM Pro though.