Flat waste board makes for nice cuts

I’ve been having fits trying to get my Z axis to cut correctly. Calibrated, dial indicated, checked wheels, pulley screws, belts and all other known suspects. Than I finally resurfaced my waste board (again). no telling how I did it last time, but it was warped like a potatoe chip. I cut 2 panels of parts using tabs that were 0.28 mm high and 1 mm long. Bearly any wood left but it was enough to keep the pieces in place. With the new surface all the cuts were as specified but I did have slight raising of the panel in the center. Now I do anchor the center of the panel with a screw which I program as the 1st operation with a tool change so I have a stop and pause to drive in the screw but this time the system drilled the anchor hole, paused for a tool change which is when I should have screwed in the screw but somehow I changed tools without screwing in the screw and low and behold the center of the panel raised. Any Ways I think I also graduated a little today as I hit my first clamp with the bit )twice), no damage (boy does the Shapeoko make aluminum shavings) . So maybe I moved up a little in the classroom but I’m not sure if the move was closer to the door or to the back of the class. I’d like a window seat please.

2 Likes

My first part after calibrating, surfacing and spindle tramming came out amazingly accurate… After a few more tweaks on the part design I’m gonna put my machine to work (finally).

Could not agree more with investing in said steps if you’re looking for accurate parts…

3 Likes

Next is the Vacuum Table, as soon as I get the first run of toys out, no more budget left. My spindle is 0.3 degrees off from vertical according to the dial indicator. For wood I think that is close enough so I won’t try to trust my eyes and shaky hands to adjust it. Yes, the Shapeoko is amazingly accurate and I just proved “I Can Do IT” . Now for can I do it better… Thanks Jim, Jude

2 Likes

So maybe im just dumb but make a vacuum table with just a shop vac seems like it would just cook the shopvac and burn it up or am i missing something?

1 Like

You gotta be right, but I don’t know how long they last.
I used one for over 5 hrs. straight, and it seems ok.
People keep them hooked up to the routers, but I dont know for how long.

1 Like

Jude and Jim…I am so far behind, I can’t even see your taillights! But…I will be following in your footsteps!

David, pretty smart observation! Add some safeguards, or sacrifice a shopvac to the the cause once in a while! There are several threads andwebsites on Vacuum tables, and their where, what, why, and how, Here is a site with several options!

2 Likes

You may think you are far behind, but some may think that you’ve actually lapped me once or twice around the track. There are no leaders, just the brave and couragous blazing trails and adventuring beyond their own limits. To infinity and beyond… as some mighty leader must have said in the past according to my memory. Don’t worry bout my tail lights, I only look forward so I don;t need ;em and I thought I was chasing your progress, like “who’s on first”…Jude

1 Like

“What?” and “I don’t know!” are coming up fast! We had storms over the last two days to the point that three power outages gave us around six hours with out power each…Today I took the boys to the neighborhood pool to keep them from tearing up the furniture! Hopefully that will let me make some progress last week when next week rolls around! I had hoped to square and tune up my XXL yesterday to have it ready for some Cutting and a Grinnin! ut it was an Exaspiratin’ Day!

2 Likes