G-Code error when trying to load .nc file from Carbide Create

no matter what i do with my c2d file in Carbide Create - simulation all runs fine but when i try sending the g-code file to Carbide Create or loading the .nc file in Carbide Motion i always get the g-code error bad character. I have even tried loading older .nc files that i have already printed and even those files are giving me the G-Code error and not opening. I just updated my Carbide Create to Build 474, Built on 2020-07-20. wondering if there’s supposed to be an update for Motion as well because the version i’m running didn’t have an update (Build: 513). I am running on a macbook (OS Catalina V 10.15.5).
I have deleted and re-installed both Motion and Create and error still occurs.
i have also loaded gcode file into a g-code simulator and the file looks fine.
i’m at a loss and very frustrated.
thanks for any advice/assistance.

Hi @crabsnak,

Can you post here one .nc file that gives you this error when loading it in Carbide Motion ?

3 Likes

ExitSign01.nc (86.3 KB)

ARROW.nc (24.7 KB)

exit.nc (71.0 KB)

Hi @crabsnak,

I have a hunch that the very first line of the generated G-code files is causing the issue:

(Design File: /Users/CHINGSAT1/Dropbox/Brookside Inn/project - permit -detail 项目装修/Signs - Property/EXIT.c2d)

CM may not like the special (Chinese?) characters on that comment line.
I don’t have access to Carbide Motion right now, but it’s worth a try to just edit one of those files and just remove that first line, see if it fixes the problem. It’s a comment line so there will be no impact on the job itself.

2 Likes

@Julien is correct in his surmise.

Our software isn’t properly internationalized and high-order (greater than 7-bit ASCII) characters confuse the software even when in comments. Hopefully a future update of Carbide Create and/or Carbide Motion will handle these more elegantly.

2 Likes

aahh… my wife has been using my laptop and her first language is Mandarin so its possible the default language was set to Chinese when these files were created. I will recreate the G-Code making sure the language is set to English. Thx!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.