I have been using Carbide Motion for a year now. Any other recommendations on an alternative?
I’m trialing UGCS, it seems pretty good the 2 things it’s missing for me,
- automatic spindle off - you have to add the command to your code
- workplace co-ordinates system (although I think there is a way to do it with Macros)
The 2 things it has that I wanted
- Probing for multiple different sized bits
- spindle speed control during a job
- Universal G-Code Sender as noted by @Luke — the cool new-fangled Java option
- bCNC — old-school Python
- Chilipeppr — the cloud-based version
- grblControl — native tool to work w/ large files
- IntelliG-Code — from https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Commercial_Software#Communication.2FControl.2FG-Code_Interpreter — well-regarded commercial app
- EstlCAM — commercial CAM app which has an optional mode to replace the machine’s firmware
I have switched from CM to grbl-panel. I don’t do very complex jobs and I only work in wood, but it’s been doing what I need it to do just fine.