GRBL not found on device

Hello, I have an old (original) Nomad 883 and I need to upgrade the PC I use to drive it using Carbide Motion. Going from an old (2015) Macbook to a less-old Windows 11 machine. After installing the latest Carbide Motion (“software for all of our Carbide 3D machines”), when I attempt to connect to the Nomad I get the error message “GRBL not found on device”. Then I go back to the Macbook, everything works fine. A previous posting on this forum suggested trying different USB cables, so I did that with several cables, but the result was the same with all of them.

If I had to guess, the Mac is running a very old version of Carbide Motion which is tolerant of the old microcode. I’d try installing V3 but the description says it’s just for particular Shapeoko 3 machines.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Please try CM3 — also contact us at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work through this w/ you.

So I now tried installing V3 of Carbide Motion. It won’t launch because “MSVCR120.dll” not found. I’ll try emailing support as you suggest.

Following support’s suggestion (missing msvcp120.dll - Carbide 3D) I downloaded and installed Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2013, the vcredist_x86 version. Then I reinstalled CM3 and it properly asked to install the device driver.

After this, I was able to connect to the Nomad, jog, etc.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.