Grbl problem xxl 3

I recently installed a bit setter and used it successfully a couple times. I set up a cut and when the machine moved to touch the probe it missed, and the bit got stuck along side of it and cut a groove in the housing. I had to manually pull the z up to free it. After initializing and starting over it repeatedly moves over the probe, the boy comes down about a half a inch and stops, producing the probing cycle failed error.
I’ve unplugged, re-setup the probe and bitsetter to no avail. The z probe is still functioning. I assume I need to reset the grbl position somehow since I forcefully pulled it up but I am lost.

Sounds like the BitSetter position is off.

Power up, connect to the machine, then go to Settings and disable the BitSetter, then initialize the machine and reconfigure it.

I did that. Even completely unhooked it, restarted the machine, installed the bitsetter again and reinitialized everything.

Just to clarify some of the terms used… the BitZero is typically “the probe”, and the BitSetter is the thing on the right side that measures the tool length automatically at initialization and tool change.

So here:

After initializing and starting over it repeatedly moves over the probe, the boy comes down about a half a inch and stops, producing the probing cycle failed error.

we are talking about it not coming down to touch the BitZero, yes? That is, it’s already hit the BitSetter just fine and there’s no issue with the BitSetter itself?

Sorry. When I initialize the machine it moves to the back right, then moves to front center and prompts to load a tool. Click on resume and it moves to the right, over the bit setter and moves about half an inch down and stops. Never gets anywhere close to the bit touching it then says cycle failed.

It still works fine with the Bitzero

Is the red LED on your BitSetter constantly on by any chance ?

1 Like

It is staying on yes

That’s why the probe cycle fails, and this means there is an electrical problem somewhere, the BitSetter LED should only turn on when the plunger is pressed.

The two cases I have seen here for a constantly-on BitSetter LED where
a) a failed BitSetter (rare, but can happen)
b) the BitZero alligator clip touching the BitZero body, which grounded the circuit, and since the BitZero and BitSetter share a common signal, this activated the BitSetter continuously too. See this thread for illustration

=> double-check where your BitZero and alligator clip are stored currently ?

1 Like

Thanks Julien, I did make sure the alligator clip was away from the Bit Zero. Wondering if when the bug came down and missed the bitsetter probe and slid down the side of it damaged it. It did scratch the side of it. Maybe I will just have to order a new one.

I would suggest contacting support@carbide3d.com in any case, see what they recommend.
And if you can, try and unplug the BitZero only, check if the BitSetter is still always on. If it is, try and push/release the plunger manually a few times, see if that changes anything.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.