Has anyone done wire inlay?

Just keep in mind that, if you use continuous wire, you’ll need to keep all of your radiuses within the bending tolerances of that wire. I guess that’s obvious…but many of the designs (including mine) require square corners…and you cut the wire on an angle so that they miter in the corners. You’re inserting a bunch of smaller snippets of wire, rather than one continuous run.

3 Likes

My plan with the EL wire was to make through holes where I wanted to “hide” it and bring it back. Though it can be done, it’s not fun to reconnect broken or cut wire.
For the design, it worked really well in Inkscape. I made a single, open path of the design, making sure that there were ends. I then adjusted the stroke width to be the same as my desired pocket width, and converted the stroke to a path. Imported that into Fusion for toolpaths.
Oh, you can also measure the length of a path in Inkscape (Extensions - Visualize Path - Measure Path)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.