Having problems with a V-Carve/Advanced V-Carve

Hello,

Been messing around with this for the past hour and can’t figure out my issue. This is a map of the Chesapeake bay, and I am just trying to do a V-carve of the actual bay because of the fine details on the edges. Checked around the file and I fixed a few overlapping areas, and I can’t see any open gaps that would cause a problem.

Whenever I try to generate the tool path, it is just saying empty tool path meaning that I have some problem with the file that I am not seeing, which is very possible as I just downloaded and blew up this SVG from a data dump. Chesapeakebay.c2d (919.6 KB)

Attached is the file, any thoughts or ideas would be welcome! So far I have just been making simple inlays with V-Carve, so there might be something very obvious that I might be missing.

Thank you and have a good day!

your design has “open polygons” in them (hence the purple color)
which you can’t pocket or vcarve.

if you click on a purple section a “knee” kind of icon appears on the left, which will close the polygon one way or another… usually correcftly

1 Like

I opened your file and most of the outline is purple. Purple means an open vector. You will need to go into this file with an SVG editor and close the open vectors. As many lines as you hae this may be a big task. Maybe you should look for a different SVG. All SVG are vector images but not all SVGs are closed vectors. All SVG images used by Carbide Create must be closed vectors to work properly.

1 Like

As @fenrus says, it looks like the bit you want to cut out (the water) isn’t a connected shape. I’ve moved the bits of it to show you the open parts.

Thank you all for the fast replies! You learn something new every day, and I just closed the polygons as @fenrus said, and so far it is working just fine but I will keep you all posted.

Generating the first tool path, and it is generating the pocket on the land instead of the water, which I believe is because the SVG came with the border areas attached which is creating a closed shaped that I need to remove. Is there any way to remove those in Carbide Create before I join the open polygons, or should I bring it to a new program to remove those?

Or is there a way for the program to do the inverse shape of a selected area, or am I just selected the wrong boundaries?

just draw your own box around it ?

what is “inside” and “outside” the carve follows the “odd/even rule”; go from the very left towards the right. count how many lines you cross. if it’s an odd count, that area is where things are being carved, if it’s even (including zero) it’s not. So all you need to do to flip this is … add 1 to that count… easiest is to just draw a box around everything.

2 Likes

I completely forgot about that, I must have been tired this morning. Thank You!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.