HDM Enclosure Idea With Alu. Chip Tray

I know right? I am just thinking of going by SMW and stealing his. lol

6 Likes

Definitely need a good enclosureā€¦

5 Likes

This thread reminded me of a multi part video series of this guy building his own CNC using granite surface plates and enclosure. This one is about his flood coolant setup but if you look at the series Iā€™m pretty sure one of the videos also shows his enclosure build with chip seperation.

EDIT: Adding the video showing his enclosure build

2 Likes

I have been following his videos for a while and itā€™s incredible to see where this machine started and what level it is at now with the massive rails and motion components.

With your chip tray covering the entire base I bet a few well placed air blast nozzles would keep the work area clear.

A ducted fan for an rc jet with a 3d printed nozzle and chip screen over the intake would provide plenty of air to keep chips at bay. Use a MQL nozzle at the endmill to keep the tool cool and path clear then simple air blast to clear the bed.

I do wonder how much air a decent EDF could move through a repurposed vacuum hose so the ducted fans can be mounted up high out of the way.

1 Like

And then thereā€™s the 3D printed fans, I imagine they would be shrapnel, waiting to happen.
CNC Bit Fan Hobby Shapeoko Onefinity CNC4NEWBIE X-carve Set of | Etsyk_Cj0KCQiA0eOPBhCGARIsAFIwTs7rhOc6AVtEA9CCTHi6CSFFetONHhmkYIv-LbsJKphtXiq79lmbCpIaAmm6EALw_wcB_k&utm_content=go_12574416126_120439636798_507798925836_aud-318222619806:pla-295604191622_c__940154131_186756088&utm_custom2=12574416126&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0eOPBhCGARIsAFIwTs7rhOc6AVtEA9CCTHi6CSFFetONHhmkYIv-LbsJKphtXiq79lmbCpIaAmm6EALw_wcB

From the still image I thought ā€œdang, I want to see the cutter head that insert is going inā€ :wink:

Which Shapeoko is that you got that finish on?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.