HDZ Owners thread

I thought we should all have an HDZ thread to talk about cut recipes, maintenance, upgrades and anything else specific to the HDZ. Also if anyone has questions, this is the perfect place to ask!

This is not for the sale or marketing of this product, but to focus on education and information!

7 Likes

Sign me up! Bookmarked

2 Likes

I think it should cover those who use the free files to make their own :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I only know of two, how many of us are there?

1 Like

@Griff :raised_hand:
Edit: oh were you talking the free design? I have the commercialized HDZ offering (Gen2?).

Great idea @Vince.Fab, I actually want to go through each tool I have and dial in roughing/finishing strategies (S&F) on different operations (clearing, contour, etc.) with my common stock of HDPE and Aluminum. Right now I’ve just been “winging it”.

Is there a “test model” ya’ll use, to tune things against a new cutter, or just incorporate it into current jobs?

Loads of folk have downloaded the plans! No idea how many have made them.

I’m in. This is a great idea.

Me too, re the winging it comment. My goal is to find the sweet spot for the cutters I use most often first.
Vince has inspired me to add a linear rail to X, designs done, just waiting for parts. Once that’s installed the work shall begin

Got the ingredients to make chips, time to experiment with some recipes.

6 Likes

If you are getting major chatter while cutting in the Y direction and depth of cut is miss-aligned between step overs… check the Z-axis ball nut/mount screws. Mine had vibrated loose with a good 1mm of play :man_facepalming:

1 Like

#AmateurHour

SQ 0.25"DIA 0.75"LOC 1FL ZrN - Amana #51377-Z
~1" Stick Out

Was getting chatter when cutting in Y+ and X+ directions, can see it in the floor finish on the left and top side.

#VinceStyle

7 Likes

Would the Suckit able to pull these aluminum chips?

With the vise, it wouldn’t work well, as the dust boot needs to be mostly sealed to work efficiently. Mounting the stock directly to the bed (via toe clamps, bite clamps, or super glue+tape) would allow for the boot brushes to seal better, and likely suck up most chips.

1 Like

Curious as to the total clearance under the spindle with the HDZ. Say from the collet nut. Trying to see how well a laser centering device would work. I know they are great for large clearance industrial setups just not sure if the one I have in mind will work with HDZ. So far we got a 26" Diameter ring with 8" clearance. Not quite there for xxl but want to see what the baseline is before getting more tests underway.

TIA

It really depends on what router/spindle you are running but they have enough travel to run on endmill all the way down to the bed and +6" up.

With a Makita fully dropped in the stock mount the collet nut is about 1.5 inches from my bed, +150mm travel up.

2 Likes

Quick question, will HDZ work with SO3 XXL?

Yes. It should fit any Shapeoko 3, XL, or XXL since it replaces the Z-axis carriage.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.