Hello Everyone, (new guy needs a little help)

Hi everyone,

just got my Shapoko Pro XXL setup last week. I decided to try and test today but I can’t seem to figure out why its not working correctly. here’s the back story and video. Im thinking its something I’m doing wrong, but I can’t for the life of me figure out what it is.

When I start up my machine I initialize and it all goes fine.

I set my bitzero V2 on the top my wood. I run it and zero out all 3 after its done.

next I load my file and hit run. It seems like the Z keeps going up and skips the homing device. Also, it seems like it would plunge into my piece of wood too deep. Hoping the video will help explain a little.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
Fred

If I get this right, you zero after using the Bit Zero… In my feeble, mind loading the file and start is the next step. If you zero after bit zero, I think you are zeroing at the height and location the router currently is.

I load a file, set zero by using Bit Zero, then start.

As for plunging, let’s see if it continues after the new process.

Good Luck
And have fun

2 Likes

The BitZero routine sets the zeroes for you.
As @Zman says, you don’t want to set your zeroes where the router ends up after the BitZero-ing.

I’m going to try it again tonight to see what happens.

1 Like

Also check you material height in you design program and your retract height

1 Like

At the 56 second mark it sounds like the Z axis was grinding, the machine has lost it’s Z position at that point.

Well, how did it go?

Still not right. I wonder if I didn’t set it up right. I been going over the instructions to make sure all my settings are right. It’s almost like my z isn’t right. It grinds before the start of every run. Homing it works right and all the sensors are working fine.

@Montezuma213 Can you share your gcode?

To second Neil’s request to have a look at your gcode and @Mogsy’s hunch: what value do you have your retract height set to ? The video really looks like what happens when setting a retract height that is greater than the available Z travel above the set zero. In that case, since the retract move is part of the actual job and limit switches are not active during a job (long story), if the gcode tells the machine to go higher than it actually can, it will try and do it, it will grind at the top of the Z axis (and then plunge too far into the wood, having lost its Z reference)

Either that or the gcode tells it to go to positive absolute Z, but there is no good reason for that

2 Likes

When I get home from vacation I will give that a look and share the CODE I think it was set to 2 inches for the retract hight. I just so happened to be looking at that. Is there a standard that everyone sets?, or is it based on the material?

It’s based on Workholding, based on what is safe/appropriate for the getting above clamps and so forth.

ok, just got home. I was able to stop the grinding on the machine. When I set the retract height to 1" it solved that issue. Now it seems like after I probe, the bit doesn’t come down far enough to reach my material. Here’s my steps and code.

1. Initialize
  2. Load File
  3. Probe
  4. Run

Just a random question. I was looking at my setup papers and I don’t see where it says if I have a lead screw or ball screw? How can I tell? Wondering if maybe I didn’t set that right. I have it on lead screw for now.

Fixed File.nc (496.7 KB)

In that file you have the zero reference set to be at stock bottom, is this intentional ? If so, you cannot use the probe (at least for X/Y). If you want to use probing on the corner of the stock, you need to set your zero reference to “Zero height: Top” like so:

If you set your zero height to “bottom” and then probe on stock top, your toolpath will run in the air like you are probably seeing now.

The Shapeokos come with a “Z-plus” Z axis that is a leadscrew. “Ballscrew” is the type for the HDZ upgrade, so unless you got that, “leadscrew” is the correct setting for you

1 Like

thanks for the reply. let me change it and see what happens?

So now it looks like it would cut fine. Going to try a piece of MDF as my first test cut.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks Everyone! It seems to be working just fine now. made my first cut today.

1 Like