Hello everyone. New user here

Hello world,

I finally decided to pull the trigger and purchased today the Pro, my first CNC so no experience whatsoever. I currently have a small woodworking business. I do have experience with laser machines and I learned to work with those very quickly. I hope to learn quickly with this machine. I hope to be helpful in the near future.

Blessings,

Carlos

Carlos:

CNC and lasers are two very different animals. Be prepared for a much steeper learning curve. Many more forces coming together to make a project or a piece of scrapwood.

Worth the effort but …

Enjoy your new Shapeoko.

Bill

1 Like

What sort of work do you wish to do?

What CAD tools do you use? (or do you use vector drawing programs?)

1 Like

Enjoy. Remember to come here for tips or help as you progress. There are some very handy people here.

1 Like

I wish you all the best of luck and success with your new CNC.
I love mine. You will find most of all the help you need right here.
I have learned so much just reading this site.

Sincerely,
Eric

1 Like

yes I heard that Bill… that was the main reason for me to joined this late. I have been contemplating buying one for more than 5 years lol. It is time to get this animal under control.

Thanks and have a Happy Holidays

all vector for some time (SVG, DXF mainly)… I want to combine my CO2 with this CNC, I am sure both together will do great stuff. I am already doing great stuff with my CO2 150W that people asked if I did it with a CNC.

Thank you Michael… will do and I will pay it back

Thanks Eric,
I love spending lots of hours reading and watching videos to learn so it will be a great time

I’ve had machine for more years than many, but actual hours of use, well, Winston Mom probably beats me in an average month.

That said, advice as follows:

1. Hours = experience = knowledge. The more you use the tool, the better you get.

2. Workholding: Every new job presents new work holding challenges. CA glue and blue tape, double-sided tape, side clamps, cam clamps, expect to learn how to use all of these and more.

3. Speeds/feeds/bits–there’s a lot to learn here. Spiral uncut, downcut, compression bits, clearing tool paths–this is important stuff. Spend a lot of step ! here.

Have fun.

1 Like

I really appreciate it and will do.

Thanks Alexander

in another note. I know that I will need to buy bits and more… do you have a link of good bits to buy? I will be doing bowties on small slabs, inlays, cutting 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood and various thickness of hardwood.

Hi @CHRO and welcome to the community.

I wrote a small section about a recommended starter set of endmills for beginners, in this section of the Shapeoko ebook (which you may enjoy reading, since this is your first CNC. The book is for the regular Shapeoko, but 99% of it applies to the Pro too)

For the usecases you described I would say:

• a few cheap 1/4" and 1/8" upcut square endmills, for training / test cuts.
  • a few good ones to have on hand once you are familiar with the machine
  • 60° and 90° vbits, for inlays. Be sure to buy decent ones, there is nothing as infuriating as a poor quality vbit.
  • a downcut 1/4" square endmill. They’re great to get clean top edges when milling pockets in wood.
2 Likes

thanks Julien, good info. I really appreciate that

Welcome, Carlos!

Lots of good learning to be had. I have a great time doing new projects on my machine. Any questions, ask!

1 Like

Welcome! Best wish on your shapeoko journey.

1 Like

I truly can sense your excitement in getting your new toy. I am sure you will do fine.
I look forward to seeing your projects in the “What have you cut on your Shapeoko today” area on this site.
I personally started my CNC journey with a Genmitzu 3018. With only a 300mm X 180mm table this was very limiting as to what I could make. You have made a good choice for furthering your hobby.

Eric

1 Like

Greetings and welcome! I am also a first-time new user, but a few months in by now. You won’t be disappointed with your machine choice. Customer support is the best I’ve encountered with any purchase I’ve ever made. The users in the community here total decades of experience and willing to share their knowledge. They have definitely helped me many times along the way. Enjoy making chips with your new toy!

3 Likes

I can tell their customer service is great… Thank you so much

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.