Hello World! XL all set up, now just gotta finish squaring it

Hey gang,

Just finished setting up my XL. This is my fourth try running the Carbide 3D hello world program. First three times I didn’t realize that I didn’t have the wasteboard bolted down all the way and it smashed the sharpie tip up a bit:

Now I have to try and square up the machine better since the X rail seems to be racked a bit. There is a small 1-2mm gap against front-left and back right Y rail mounting plates (hopefully I’m using the right terms). Anyway, I figure I’ll tinker with squaring the base and if that doesn’t work, check the rails to see if they’re cut square and shim as necessary.

Looking forward to posting upcoming projects!

1 Like

This may help, http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Calibration_and_Squaring_the_Machine

2 Likes

Squaring the machine sucks, why isn’t there an auto level and auto square button? :smile: Anyway, do everything you can to get everything square. I used clamps and force. Apparently for a long time my X rail was not square to the waste board. I just took the time the other night to un screw the X rail and get it square. Surfaced my wasteboard after and came out completely flat no visible or felt ridges on it.

Seriously. I haven’t started squaring yet because I’m dreading it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I did a sea of holes pattern into my wasteboard for inserts and the hole placement seemed great, but all the depths were different.

I mentioned the x-rail was racked a bit, so I measured the frame diagonally and that’s off by ~1/8". The confusing this is the X-rail is not square to the mounting plates in a way that indicates the rail might have a bend in it (I’m at work so I can’t take a picture, but here’s a crude sketch):

Anyway, I have a lot of work to do it seems!

edit The shipping box was also super banged up when I got it, but I’m hoping that didn’t damage anything too bad. The only visible damage was one of the frame plates for the table was badly bent, but I straightening it in a vise.