Help finding a wheel for project

how big are these? would something like this work?https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/wood-slicker-single-groove

Doing that work! 2-3in was what I was looking for. I might buy a couple and see what shows up.

make a router table, cut out the slot with the appropriate bit?

2 Likes

That would be optimal. With the real job and a newborn I donā€™t have a whole lot of time right now haha.

3 Likes

Tem is hitting the correct nail. Use the right tool for the job.
Use a simple circle saw/hole saw, then make the appropriate groove with a router.
You will be done way faster with a lot less headache.

Just because we have CNC machines doesnā€™t mean its always the correct tool.

1 Like

There is the option of buying a router table, space and funds permitting, of course.

Having a router table and a CNC, and a large drill press and every circle cutter/hole saw/fly cutter you can imagine, Iā€™d still use the CNC to cut those wheels.

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad you donā€™t trust your hand building skills (just kidding) but I value my time (in dollars) way more than most on this list. There is no way I would throw that much money into making these simple wheels.

Running larger hole saws through wood isnā€™t my idea of a good use of my time.

Iā€™m guessing you donā€™t have a lathe, but maybe a drill press and a file like Scott suggests? You could cut the circle and center hold on the shapeoko, then come back and use a round file or sandpaper around a small dowel to shape the slot while itā€™s spinning on a lathe or drill press. If no drill press, what about mounting the dowel with sand paper on it and using a cordless drill to spin the wheel?

Yea no lathe. I still need a decent drill press / router and router table / would like a drum sander.

But Iā€™ve only been at this since May so I have time.

All these ideas are badass though, never thought Iā€™d get this many.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.