Help! My machine is a mess!

Sorry to hear it. I know you’re in a frustrating spot searching fo that ghost.

I am using the Carbide Compact Router though so we don’t have that in common. Despite being different routers there may be a thread worth following there.

good luck!

I’ll keep you posted as to my resolution but I have to say, the evidence for my design flaw theory seems to be piling up. :thinking:

I think I discovered the cause. Will post more later. If I’m right, it will be an easy fix.

1 Like

@WillAdams @Julien @mynamejefff

Here is the sequence that produces the issue for me.

1. Initialize the machine.

2. When the machine moves to center front I leave the current endmill in the router and click next.

3. The machine moves to the bitseter, touches off twice, moves back to center front, and stops. I install the correct endmill, measure how far the endmill is sticking out of the router, and then zero the machine of the project price.

4. Run the project. The machine moves to center front, I click next because at this point the correct bit is in the router. The machine moves to the bitsett and touches off twice. The machine then moves back to center front and pause bridle while the router comes up to speed.

5. The machine moves to the project and more often than not plumes into the project.

6. When Z plunges into the project, I click pause, shut off the router, and check how far the bit is sticking out of the router.

So far, my measurements have not changed steps 3 and 6.

If I run the same sequence, but with endmill called for in the initial tool path, the machine never plugged into the project.

I used that exact sequence running 20 different cuts using 3 different files yesterday and never got an unexpected plunge

EDIT: except that I didn’t change the endmill because the correct one was loaded.

The problem seems to be at:

1. The machine moves to the bitseter, touches off twice, moves back to center front, and stops. I install the correct endmill, measure how far the endmill is sticking out of the router, and then zero the machine of the project price.

You need to load the tool when prompted, and not load it after the measurement which is necessary has taken place.

If you didn’t do things thus

END EDIT

Please prepare a video which shows this happening and send it in to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work this out with you.

1 Like

Step 3 seems suspicious, You’re changing the endmill after the bitsetter operation, and measuring it measuring what? the stickout? and then what do you do with that measurement?

1 Like

That sounds awful familiar.

Aren’t you the lucky one. I’m jealous.

Correct. I measure the stickout in step 3 and again if the z plunges into the project. I started measuring the stickout because several members thought the problem might be that the bit was not secure in the router, which would cause the endmill to sink into the project.

I wonder how a de Walt would go but do not know anyone with one to try.It is too wet and windy to try Michael thoughts today so Thursday may be the day.

Unless I’m missing something, you are zeroing on your project with an “unknown” endmill?

You’ve done the initial touch off with the original bit. no issues.

Then…. you’ve changed your bit without touching off, and performed your zeroing routine(while machine thinks you have first endmill installed), then when machine says “install next endmill” you say “sure” and let it measure that one. Then it says “new endmill length is different than the one that he zeroed with…… I will adjust accordingly” (not an actual dialog screen, what I think it would say if it could talk)

Possible I’m misreading something though…

Nope. The sequence is to have the end mill probed on the bit setter during initialization. Then you install the correct end mill, zero using BitZero, start job, prompted to install correct end mill (it’s already installed), next, probe via BitSetter, turn on router, plunge into work piece.

I’ve seen the punge when the correct end mill was installed even before initialization so there was no end mill change from initialization probe onward.

@WillAdams I order four Wyze cameras so that I can film the sequence from start to finish from multiple angles. I’ll share the video with tech-support. This said, the work around I mentioned above is working for me so I’m good to go.

This procedure is totally wrong, as written.

If you are doing this it explains everything.

3 Likes

@mynamejefff and @DCFYI has you guys tried the following:

1. initialize machine (homing sequence).
  2. when router comes front center you insert one of the probing pins (not an endmill).
  3. it then uses the bitsetter to measure the tool.
  4. zero your stock using bit zero or manually EDIT using the probing pin inserted in step 2… do not switch endmill until you set your zeros (xyz) as the initial tool measurement with bitsetter combined with the zeroing step need to be done with the same tool.
  5. load file and then run the job and at this point it will prompt to insert the first tool in the job (in the .nc file)

I could also be reading your descriptions incorrectly but I feel like maybe what is being missed is to zero with the same tool first inserted after the homing sequence/initialization. Also probably a good idea to use the probing pin as the first tool.

Step three is incorrect. You cannot insert a new endmill after the bitsetter probing has finished unless you tell CM you want to do that.

5 Likes

Not using an “unknown endmill.” After the Shapeoko Initializes (homes and touches the bitseter), it stops center front. At this point, I put the endmill for the first tool path in the router and zero the machine. Once I zero the machine, I click “run job,” The machine then moves to the bittseter and touches twice before cutting the first tool path.

@Gerry Has things correct — I missed that that endmill was being changed after being measured.

In order for the BitSetter to work, one has to only change the tool when prompted.

3 Likes

You’re changing the bit without telling CM that you’re loading a new tool. Problems will ensue.

4 Likes

Whatever endmill you initialize with, use it to set X, Y, Z zero. Load your job and let the bitsetter prompt for the first tool, swap it in and the bitsetter adjust the Z offset accordingly

1 Like