HELP! Problems with circles

Hey y’all! My shapeoko XL has been carving fine UNTIL it has to do circles. Then I get stuff that looks like this…has anybody ran into this before or know a fix? Thanks!

I looks like the belts and or some mounting bolts could be lose. have Check the belt tension and give the machine a tune up and see if any of the bolts or brackets are lose. I would also check all the connectors and pins for any problems.

Anthony

1 Like

The usual suspect when circles are not circles are the v-wheels. Check all of your v-wheels and adjust and/or replace as necessary.

If the v-wheels are good then a calibration may be necessary. The gbrl sets the stepper motor pulses to move a given distance. To calibrate make a series of circles that within your caliper measurement range and cut them. Then measure them and if necessary adjust your stepper motor numbers to correct to make perfect circles. The calibration is rarely needed but is available if required.

If you make a series of circles and the measurements are consistent then you may need to calibrate. If the series of circles are inconsistent in measurements then you have a mechanical problem and not a calibration issue.

Take a look at this community post about calibration.

2 Likes

The circles also looks like they have a flat portion at the bottom, a slipping pulley due to a loose setscrew maybe?

Is that a big knot in the wood on the left side outermost circle, by the stars?
A hard knot can make you loose steps and mess things up.

1 Like

Thank you all for your feedback and advice. I’ve done everything short of messing with the grbl. I was messing with the machine then test run then adjust and test run etc etc and now I’m getting stars that look like this…I’m also noticing that these issues are only occurring in certain places on the machine. Im truly at a loss. Im not sure how the issue could only be occurring in certain places of the machine. As you can see, the middle row of stars has an inconsistent cut but when all stars are cut, all of them but that row are perfect stars. Still having issues where the 2nd pass might carve a star 1/16” further on either the x or y or sometimes both

Also, I’m not sure, but it looks like there may be an issue with my Y1 connector? Idk if that could cause any issues. When I run the machine down the y axis there’s a spot where it seems to jump, but belts are tensioned and v wheels have been tightened.

Please write in to support@carbide3d.com about any difficulties w/ the wiring.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.