Help With Door Sign

My 4 y/o granddaughter is obsessed with all things unicorns. So I am looking to make a sign for her bedroom door, and could use a little help.

So I plan to cut pockets, and use resin tinted different pastel colors for the unicorn.

For the hair (three wavy vectors going from right to left), what would be the best way to split these in to 3 separate vectors so that the three different colors don’t run together? Is there a better way to do these 3 pours that I’m just not thinking of?

Thanks

They are black, which suggests that they are already 3 separate vectors.

If you want them to fit tight to each other, carve & pour one color at a time.

You could create a small gap between them by tracing the 2 dividing lines & offsetting and using that to trim, or join into a closed shape & subtract from each section.
You could just offset the center section inward, then edit the right end to match the offset shape around the flower. Or offset the center section outward & use that offset to trim the top & bottom sections.

Carving and pouring one pocket at a time seems the easiest solution, albeit more time consuming.

Thanks for the help.

It took a whole 5 minutes to create & edit this.

Select the center vector & offset a little bit outside. (I used 0.060)

Select the top vector first, then the new offset center vector, and boolean subtract. (Check Keep Original Vectors)

Now select the bottom vector, then the offset center vector & subtract. (Don’t check Keep Original Vectors this time.)

Zoom in to the top gap & delete the original top vector

Viola!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you run the hair as 3 separate Advanced V Carve operations, you will get a barrier in between each area.

Something like this:

1 Like

Do you think that gap is wide enough to keep the epoxy from mixing in?

The overflow would go to the bottom. You could cut one pocket, fill it then after drying cut another pocket, rinse and repeat.

Just leave the project on spoilboard to keep zeros . Put tape on bottom in case epoxy leaks out through a crack or defect in wood

Then after all is dry sand surface or surface with cnc.

1 Like

How steady is your hand? :wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.