Help with Speeds and Feeds Acrylic Sign

My original plan was to use a 1/16 endmill but that won’t work for the size of the letters.

So I am switching to a 90-degree v bit. What do I use for my speeds and feeds?

Shapeoko XL
Dewalt Router

Hi @mmoses,

The latest Carbide Create beta version (see here) includes a lot of predefined feeds and speeds recipes, I have not checked but there maybe a recommendation for the Shapeoko + acrylic + #301 combination

Surprisingly I can’t remember seeing anyone here Vcarving acrylic…I have a feeling that V-carving + acrylic (a material which tends to melt easily if not feeding fast enough) + using a Dewalt router (which has a high min RPM value, not the easiest to manage in acrylic) could be tricky.

1 Like

Thanks. That is not a combination listed.

I ran a test cut on some thinner stuff with stock feeds at 200% It did okay.

2 Likes

Cool. Maybe post the adjusted feeds and speeds values here, so that other members could benefit from settings that worked out ok for you (the “stock” values may change over time)
You could try feeding even faster to see if you can get rid of those few plastic chips stuck at the bottom of the cut. No guarantee though, Vbit speed is zero at the tip of the tool so it could be hard to get a perfect cut, but nothing that a little manual clean-up can’t address.

Make sure to use “cast acrylic” not extruded it cuts 100% better with little to no melting I make a ton of acrylic signs using endmills and v bits. most times I use the preset feeds and speeds.

2 Likes

for acrylic… a diamond drag bit is also a nice option

1 Like

From what I understand yes it is, I unfortunately have not yet taken the plunge to buy one yet. I’ve only had my CNC for a couple months now. I have much to still spend my overflow on,but unfortunately the overflow doesn’t flow as fast as I would like…lol

wow very nice sign. Can you tell me witch bit and speed/feeds you use? And do you use carbide create? This is what i already made ;-). Greets from Belgium.

1 Like

I used the stock speeds and feeds but ran it at 200% in Motion. Chip evacuation wasn’t great but I ran the tool path twice. Still took a little clean by hand but the finish product turned out great.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.