Hey guys having (I think) a missing steps problem. (included video)

Hi there. Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I’m brand new to CNC and just ordered my first machine. I’m kind of thinking this might be interesting. So I’ve had my Pro XXL for a a little less than a week. I had a regular Pro Z and my carves were going great but as soon as the carve was done I noticed the the x-axis started to skip so I started jogging the machine to see if I could figure out what was going on. I could not get it to stop doing this.

After rehoming the machine and starting a new job it was all good. It does not skip while cutting at least insofar as I can tell but as soon as the piece is done…

Anyways, I had an HDZ so I figured well maybe its the belt , I might as well install the HDZ and verify the set screws on the x motor and the belt tension and see if I can figure out what is going on. I might also note that all the switches are active and working.

This evening I installed the HDZ and even ran a simple carve. Like always I homed the machine and the ran bitsetter and then bit zero. (by the way in case it is important I am also running the bitrunner) and then ran the .nc through carbide motion. Everything was perfect. No missing steps.

As soon as I was done and just to see I started to jog the machine and presto this was still happening

Interestingly enough if I’m moving diagonal it doesn’t seem to do that. Or at least it didn’t do it for about 4 X’s across the machine about an hour ago.

I really appreciate any and all help I can get. :slight_smile:

steps?

Hi @OlHenrichStudio,

Be sure to contact support@carbide3d.com about this if you haven’t already
My first guess would be a possible lubrication problem.
If you can get your hands on some Mobile Vactra oil N°2, try oiling the rails, wiping the excess off, and moving the X axis back and worth a few times?

1 Like

I imagine you are using the rapid position points to move it around. Does it also happen when using the direction keys at the highest speed?

In addition to Julien’s lubrication ideas, it might be worth moving the X cable chain manually while the axis is moving to see if you can cause it to happen directly?

There’s been a few issues since the 4 shipped of this type caused by C3D’s recent batches of wiring and connectors, which appear to be made of a new substance called “intermittium”.

Awesome, Thanks for the response. I hadn’t yet reached out to support but I just did. I will look today at the auto parts and tractor supply for some Mobile Vactra. It is probably something I should have on hand. I’ll also go and try and watch a few videos of how to properly lubricate the shapeoko. Will come back with an update this evening after work!

1 Like

Yes, that is correct. I was using the rapid position points to move it around. I did not think to use the remote keyboard on fast to see if it would do thte same thing. I will attempt that tonight. Thank you for the idea. This is all new to me and I really do appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.