Homing cycle failed. Couldn't find the limit switch

I get this message along with a loud noise and a lot of vibration until I turn off Carbide Motion or until the spindle shuts off. The unit worked fine yesterday. It is a Shapeoko XL with the Z drive. I am pretty new to this and I don’t have a clue as to what to do. I have turned everything off for several minutes, restarted Carbide Motion, and restarted my computer to no avail. Help Help!!

You may be interested in this document @gdon_2003 came up with, to troubleshoot proximity switches issues:

You can also contact support@carbide3d.com for guidance (and we can still look at your problem here on the forum)

For the Pro see: Sending Config Settings for Shapeoko Pro - YouTube

There is a basic page on troubleshooting the homing switches at: Home Switch Troubleshooting - Carbide 3D

There is also a Carbide 3D Answer video: Basic Shapeoko Limit Switch Troubleshooting - YouTube

For the new inductive homing switches: Troubleshooting: Proximity Switch Troubleshooting - YouTube and Adjusting: Adjusting the Proximity Switches - YouTube

If you continue to have difficulties please contact us at support@carbide3d.com letting us know that you have seen the above links so that we don’t resend them.

The red light on the Y limit switch does not come on. When I initialize the machine it works correctly until the gantry gets to the far back position and then the noise and vibration start. Does this mean I need a new limit switch?

Check out the troubleshooting tips Will posted. You can bring a piece of metal in front of the switch to trigger it manually. Does the LED light up then ? If so, the switch itself is good and it is more likely a problem of positioning the switch such that it triggers before the plates contact.
You can also check if CM sees the switch triggering, by going to the Settings page, there is a live switch status area there, that should say “Y” when you manually trigger it

The red light on the Y Limit switch DOES NOT LIGHT UP! I must assume the switch is bad.

This is when you bring a metal object towards it?

I’d also check connections.

If the Y-axis homing switch won’t light when metal is presented to you, and if all the wiring is connect, it’s probably bad — please let us know what you find out at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to assist.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.