Homing sequence won't complete Z-Axis, Grinding motor

I just built my Shapeoko XL and everything is working good so far. I cut some wood today after doing a bunch of hello worlds the last few days.

I have checked all my wiring 10 times and I cannot get the homing sequence to work. Z-Axis just raises until it hits the switch/plate and grinds trying to go higher.

Is there anyway to test the functionality of the switch by touching it with your finger? What if I took off the Z-Axis belt and tested it some more. (See if the motor stops after I hold down the switch. I’m just afraid I’m doing damage to the motors/belts by having it try to move beyond the limits.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You can touch it off during Z-axis zero movement (first homing operation)… if it fails to stop, your board, switch, or wiring is bad.

I presume your CM and GRBL settings are reflective of homing operations, and you’ve double checked the limit switch wires too.

A simple ohm meter test with your switch will point you in the right direction too.

1 Like

@irr1449

Did it ever work?
Or is this the first time yor using hte homing function?

Are you sure the switches are plugged into the correct connector on the board?

You can swap the X or Y Switch at the board into the Z port, and click that switch once, then again to see if it is indeed the Z switch.

Send a photo of your board to support@carbide3d.com after confirming that the switches are correctly connected.

The switch is probably broken. I’ve replaces 4 of them so far 3 of which were on the Z-axis, I’m guessing the force of the z axis moving up during homing damages the switch.

I made a replacement that uses a mechanical keyboard switch https://www.instagram.com/p/BIyt3AZgkbo/?taken-by=lxkhn1

It’s a little rough in that picture but I’ve since sanded and stained it. If anyone wants the file just let me know.

1 Like

Are you using the dewalt? I had a similar problem and it was actually that i had the router to high in the spindle clamp. Which in turn made the router edge hit the z axis limit switch plate before it hit the actual switch. My suggestion if you havent already to eliminate the issues i had, is to remove your spidle and try to run homing.

See how you go.

Let me ask some preliminary questions:
With the power off, when you raise the Z assemble up, can you (a) see the plate touching the button on the micro switch? (Meaning, is the switch assemble in the right position to touch the correct area of the micro switch), and (b) if yes, can you hear the micro switch click?

You said you tried all three switches. After you tried and failed, I presume you put that switch back in the X and Y position. Did then continue to work? ((Trying to answer your are all the switches are broken part.

And last, do you own a multi-meter, and are somewhat familiar with the Ohms settings?

Rich

I just had the same problem. I checked the switch and it was working. After reading this thread. I found that I had turned the Dewalt router in the mount and it was stopping the Z axis from reaching the switch. It was hitting the suck-it dust bracket.

I had a similar problem but it was the switch that was stuck on. The little part that retracts was pushed-in and did not come back out until I removed it and pulled it out. If you press on the the switch you should see a light appear on the controller board, this way you can check it the switch are working.

Good to know about the light. After getting the home to work. I had a problem in carbide motion were
after I homed the router none of the x y z axis would work. But the rapid position worked. Also at this time
lightburn would allow me to move all three position. I’m not sure what fixed it. I tried the use cnc in lightburn
I also ended up refreshing the firmware in carbide motion and then it started to work again.

1 Like

Make sure you’ve sent the machine configuration: https://docs.carbide3d.com/support/carbideupdater/#carbide-motion-v4

There is a basic page on troubleshooting the homing switches at: https://docs.carbide3d.com/software-faq/home-switch-troubleshooting/ ​ There is also a Carbide 3D Answer video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7lOLMAcl_0&feature=youtu.be

​Please check that the switches are plugged in correctly, work properly — when the machine powers up the homing indicator lights should flicker on/off, then once the controller is booted up you can test the switches by pressing them — the matching light should light while the switch is pressed (closed), and should go off when the switch is released (open). ​

​Please make sure that the machine can mechanically close the appropriate homing switch on an axis before reaching the limit of travel along that axis — if it can’t, it should be possible to adjust a problematic switch’s placement by loosening the hardware in question, pulling it into a better alignment and then tightening it. The machine being out of square can also affect this, squaring up the machine, or more expediently, securing a small block or plate for the homing switches to contact may be necessary.