Horizontal ideas

Thoughts?

4 Likes

Awesome! Can’t wait to see the chip stream!
Stock? You think the V-wheels will tolerate the lateral load?

1 Like

I mean, my first thought was “That sure does look vertical for a horizontal thing.” :slight_smile:

I’ll be interested to hear how your testing goes. The thing I’d worry about (based on, I admit, exactly zero real data) is the X-axis belt/stepper pulley, and their collective ability to hold up the Z carriage under gravity + load. It sure would be cool if it worked out, though.

Or am I just misinterpreting this? Is this just what happens when you get the WCS wrong in Fusion? It would be disconcerting if my machine suddenly leapt onto the wall.

2 Likes

Something like this actually cutting would be a long while off lol. It would no doubt be linear railed and probably ballscrew X to take the stepper weight off the Z.

Two 15mm linear rails would add quite a bit of weight to the X extrusion but in “vertical” orientation, wouldn’t have much of an effect.

The stock Z with carbide compact and a 1" triple insert facemill had a weight of 11lbs. A simple 9mm linear mounted on the back of extrusion with a pulleyed cable and counterweight doesn’t seem that bad.

The chipclearing would be amazing!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.