Hot Key (or checkbox) to turn Bitsetter on or off

Where do I check the $13 setting? I am not familiar with that. Thank you for the heads up! Today I manually set my Z axis 0. I had to close CM because I can not insert a USB and leave CM open or it will cause the USB drive to come in/out repeatedly. So after I reopened CM and initialized, it went to the Bitsetter as it always does. I had a 90° Vbit, when the job started it dove straight down into the wood and I had to hit the emergency shutoff. The Z axis was 11mm off and this was only because of the bitsetter changing it. So hopefully I can check this $13 and fix that :slight_smile:

You shouldn’t need to initialize the machine before going into settings to disable bitsetter.

But if I disable it, will I have to go thru all the setup up again, or just simply turn the checkbox on/off ?

I am not real familiar with Carbide Motion but in the console there should be a place where you can type commands. The $$ command shows the GRBL settings.

BitSetter has nothing to do with GRBL, the tool length probing routine is entirely handled by Carbide Motion.

Last time I tried it, Carbide Motion remembered the coordinates of the BitSetter when I re-enabled it, but to make your life easier you should just write down those coordinates. I scribbled them on a piece of masking tape and stuck it to the back of my BitSetter. Don’t forget to power-cycle your machine, and/or re-home it, as your machine position may be thrown off when enabling/disabling the tool probe.

1 Like

It would be nice if user settings can be retained instead of re-entering the values for all $ settings configured. Like belt calibration data.

Girard, the settings are retained in the controller not Carbide Motion. If Carbide Motion were to retain the settings in memory, some people could get in trouble if they used other senders like CNCjs where they may have changed the settings, CM would not know they have been changed and present you with the wrong info.

2 Likes

Thanks Winston. I did some testing and the coordinates are retained. But it is a timely process to turn it on/off. There could be a reason in the background that it must go thru the complete cycle but until I start doing more complex jobs with more than 3 bit changes, I will leave it disabled. If we could custom set JOG points to go to (including the Z height) then setting new X,Y (and/or) Z without probes would be very fast.

Sounds like the $13 setting was only a problem for using CNCjs and not Carbide Motion. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

I found a YT video on how to use CNCjs and I am going to check it out. It may be very nice especially when I am not using the probe and bitsetter.

It is awesome when using the probe and bitsetter. You can use macros for both within CNCjs and activate them whenever you need them. There are several thread on the forums concerning this. If you cannot find them just make a post and someone will help.

I posted an issue with bit setter and HDZ. I noticed after I installed the HDZ when I reinstalled the bit setter the coordinates were negative and I do not believe that is correct. Is there a way to reset it? I do not remember what the original settings were.

The coordinates for X and Y will be negative. Your zero is 0,0 if set in the back right corner. Anything to the left and forward of that point is negative for machine position.

Out of convenience we typically set our work position to the front left side and anything to the back and right of that position are positive.

Thank you Stacy! I will search and read up on the integration of CNCjs. Sounds very nice!

Stacy, do you have a link or just a screenshot of all the correct settings in cncjs for the XXL?

You shouldn’t need to mess with your grbl settings at all. They will only change if you explicitly change them or if you send config in Carbide Motion.

My last post may have not been worded correctly. I am trying to find out any (and all) configuration settings for cncjs. Trying to figure out how to setup cncjs for use with the XXL (along with bitsetter and probe). I’m sure you can do some pretty cool stuff in cncjs, I just need to figure out how. I will do so more playing with it this evening. the sun is shining and I need to spray my yard

As Neil pointed out there are really no settings. Other than the $13=0 that I had changed before trying out the bitsetter it should work with all your default settings in GRBL. There are some macros that Neil wrote for using the bitsitter on the Shapeoko that work wonderfully. I put a link to them and the thread that discusses alot about how they work below. Neil is the expert and lurks the forums and helped me alot getting through my issues where I changed the GRBL settings previously for another reason.

2 Likes

What does that mean?

#OhioWinter

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.