How do I make a wider tool path?

When doing the cut out pass I want to make the cut wider then the tool. Make the cut off pass then step over to widen the next pass. Then plunge and make both passes again to give the chips more room to clear. Any one help me? Thanks, Carl

Offset your profile by a bit more than the diameter of the cutter, then pocket both vectors.

1 Like

can you tell me how to do that? I am brand new to CC.

I have a 4x4 square I want to profile with a 1/4" tool. So I offset it, let’s say 3/8

Select both vectors & create a pocket toolpath

2 Likes

Great help. I got it now. Thanks Carl

1 Like

This is exactly the right answer, HOWEVER Carbide Create currently has a bug where some pockets are cut incorrectly. Instead of clearing each depth completely before going deeper (“breadth first”), it will run a path repeatedly to full depth, THEN move on to the rest of the pocket (“depth first”).

So if you do this, and it seems like what the machine is doing doesn’t make sense, this isn’t you doing something wrong.

Thanks for the info. I have been playing with this for a couple hours and couldn’t get tabs to work. I like your idea . Forgot to say I am using V6 of CC. You guys and this forum are great. Carl

With V6 you should be fine. Bug showed up between 729 and 743.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.