How small a steps on Shapoko

I’m guessing based on the belts and stepper motors, that there is a minim size of lettering that can be created. I’m looking at a font size to engrave of 2-3pt. and wondering if that is something that can be engraved into brass, if the right bit is used?? Can the machine move in increments that tight?

The movement grid for a Shapeoko is 1/40th of a mm.

2 pt. tall text is about 0.5mm tall, while 3pt. tall text is about 0.8mm tall, so imagine what a letter looks like on a grid of 16 or 32 units — interpolation of movement helps a bit, but you’re also removing material which deforms things and leads to tool deflection.

When I tested in acrylic w/ a diamond drag engraver, text was quite legible as a double-traced outline down to 2mm — probably a single line font would do better, and brass may yield a better result.

Probably one of the finest examples of text engraving would have been @RichCournoyer 's watch case back:

not sure how small the smallest text there was though.

1 Like

Wow! That’s fantastic. Looks like that is about the size I am looking for. I wonder what bit/speeds he used. I don’t seem to see those mentioned in the posting.

Smallest text size = 0.75mm (0.032")

Since it is Stainless…I went SLOW (2-5 ipm) and with tiny (0.001") DOC Some words are only 0.004" deep.

1 Like

Fantastic. Appreciate the input and I’ll see if I can make something happen that small.

Thanks

Can you tell me what bit you used?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.